V - No turning back

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

"Annette!" I rose, feeling a slight pain in my cheek. Jungkook had slapped me on the face.

"I tried to wake you up for a couple of minutes." Jungkook placed his hands on his waist.

I yawned rubbing my eyes. Jungkook sat on my bed.

"You got a decent room, huh?" he glanced around, "I brought you food and new clothes. Now I'll go help tidy up palace, and later, when the guests start gathering, I'll come to you."

"Guests?" Not only is this not the best situation, but the nobility will come to see me waving with a dagger.

"Get ready, Annette, just don't fall asleep again!" Jungkook stood up, grabbed a berry from the tray meant for me, and left.

Today, I'll fight. I'm not too worried about that. I'm confident I'll win. However, I'm burdened by the anxiety of what awaits me afterward.

I worry about how I'll handle everything. I know what I have to do, but I fear my heart will overpower my mind.

But even more I fear that I won't do it, and guilt will weigh on my shoulders. I'm doing this for everyone, I repeat to myself.
__

Though the food looked delicious, I wasn't hungry. The dream had drained me, and my head was in a whirl.

Even though the dream wasn't that bad. I picked up the clothes Jungkook brought - a top adorned with jewels and beads. Then I took the shendyt, a light garment made of fine material with simple patterns.

Jungkook also brought bracelets and necklaces with green beads. I smiled a bit seeing them.

Jungkook probably found exactly those, knowing that my dagger also has green beads. He also brought hair accessories.

I sighed, putting the clothes on the bed and lying down, closing my eyes. But I didn't fall asleep. Or at least, that's what I thought.

I woke up again, feeling someone shaking me. Opening my eyes, I saw Jungkook's unimpressed face.

"Glad I came earlier, sensing you might fall asleep. Otherwise, I'd be preparing the pharaoh's wife's room, and you would try to strangle yourself with shendyt out of deperation." Jungkook tilted his head, as if foreseeing the future.

Probably so, but I don't agree with shendyt part.

"Have guests gathered yet?"

"Yes, so change, I'll wait outside the door." Jungkook was already turning to leave.
"Oh, almost forgot," he put a kohl jar and a small mirror on the table.

When Jungkook left, I took off my sheer dress. I put on the top and then shendyt.

I didn't forget to wear bracelets on my wrists, upper arms, and ankles. I struggled with the hair accessories, as my hair was long, reaching my tailbone.

Then I took the mirror and the jar containing kohl. When I applied it to my eyes, they stood out even more.

I never liked my eyes; I thought they looked strange. Although Amina always said they were unique and had a distinct beauty. Sometimes she likened that beauty to the gods.