Coriolanus | 26

"Send me to district twelve," I tell the administrator at the desk who just stamped 8 on my placement ticket. If I'm going to be banished, I might as well try to find Lucy Gray for a familiar face. I couldn't even pack my belonging, I had to leave the Capitol immediately. Tigris waited outside the hall for me after we left the academy and I told her the news in a daze. She was in disbelief telling me she'd tell Mercedes as soon as we were split.

My poor Mercedes. As soon as Lucy Gray won, all of the tension and blame I had against Mercedes faded away and I just wanted to celebrate with her. Hold her in my arms and promise her my future earnings and love till we grow old. Now I'll likely never see her again. The realization turns my blood cold.

I'm taken to the testing center, vaccinated, swabbed, and put through the physical test which I pass, after throwing up twice. Finally the last thing they do is shave my curls. I watch my hair fall to the ground taking my humility with it. Once I'm on the train I find a car by myself watching the Capitol shrink in the distance.

I take out the journal I was given for letters to send home and stare at the blank page. How do I give Mercedes the world now, when I can't even muster up the courage to apologize.

Dear, Mercedes,

Words cannot describe the sorrow that fills my heart at the thought of being away from you for the most important years of our life. I would be a fool to ask you to wait for my return, but my life would feel incomplete without you in it. I'm sorry for blaming you and not allowing you to explain the situation to me. None of that can compare to the mess I've made to try to come out on top. I had the opportunity to prove myself to my peers and the authority above me and I took the easy way out.

I'm asking for your forgiveness and the chance to make it up to you with my letters and paychecks until I can return home. I know you deserve more than I can give at the moment, but I'm desperate Mercedes. You're my perfect fit and I'm tailoring myself to become the best Snow I can be. Please write back. I'll be thinking about you day and night my sweet Des.

Coriolanus Snow.

-

The air in District 12 hits me like a ton of bricks. It's much more dense and mugginess surrounds me clinging to my skin. I'm led to the base and taken to the bunk area. It's not much cooler in here either. I'm introduced to my bunkmates and taken to meet the general and run through the rules and expectations.

I don't know how I'm going to survive this.