Mercedes | 17

The morning light shines through too brightly as I squint to see what time the alarm clock reads '11:47' just as I suspected. I attempt to roll to face Coriolanus as he has his arms wrapped tightly around me breathing with his mouth opened.

"You would be a mouth breather," I whisper to his sleeping self slowing trying to detangle his curls on his head. I give up trying to turn in his death grip. One wrong move and I pulled a curl apart too hard stirring him awake

"Good morning," he grumbles trying to adjust his eyes to the light revealing his piercing blue eyes.

"Good morning, honey," I respond unable to hide a smile. He quickly turns on top of me and gives me a deep kiss. "How'd you sleep Mr, Snow?."

"Mm good, how about you my dear Mercedes?" His eyes open fully as his right arm begins to caress my body while I lay on his left arm and chest turning face him after his grip loosened on me.

"Good," I attempt to fake a genuine smile, not sure if it did the trick or not.

"What's wrong?" Coriolanus asks, his arm stopping over the middle of my stomach, concern creeping onto his face.

"I don't want to miss you," I admit. I know I promised to see him whenever, but that's unrealistic once the club opens full time and he's involved in his academy spring projects.

"You won't miss me," He teases with a frown. "You have too many big girl things to worry about to miss little ol' me." He tickles my stomach causing me to squirm.

"Okay okay," I gasp out trying to get him to stop. "I'm being serious Coriolanus."

"I know, I agree," He smile fades, "but you know how important winning this school prize is for me, so if that means I have to lock in I'll do so."

"I understand and with our spring collection releasing, we'll be just as busy," I counter trying show my superiority through my schedule.

A silence falls over us, guessing we're both thinking too much of the distance that's going to fill between us.

"Tell me about your childhood," Coriolanus whispers, questioning more than commanding. Possibly knowing why it's a 'hush hush' topic.

"What do you want to know?" I ask turning on to my back, Coryo turning fully on his side leaning on his hand propped against his cheek. I try to forget my past the best I can everyday and it always comes back either in a nightmare or through an innocent memory.

"What happened to your parents?" His eyes search between mine seeing if the mention of them would get a reaction.

"Um, my mom died when I was," I pause taking a deep breath. "6 I think. My dad was a bad man and owed the wrong person money. They took her as a ransom because I ran away in time. They would've killed both of us because my dad was too much a drunk to realize what was reality."

"Jesus," Coryo whispers out staring deeply in my eyes.

"And the alcohol finally caught up to my dad during the war. He spent all of our money and sold all of our belongings just for alcohol and little food," feeling my body go cold I continue, "He tried selling me off at 11 years old to be passed around to men. I made the mistake of trusting Ambrose with that secret. I stayed in our house a few days before the power was cut off and found Pluribus. The rest is history," I purse my lips staring ahead.

Coriolanus leans towards me planting a kiss to my forehead. He rubs my left temple with his Right thumb eyes bouncing all over my face trying to read my expression.

"You are quite possibly the strongest person I know," he whispers pressing his lips softly against mine. "No siblings?"

"No. I'm not sure I was even supposed to be brought into the world," I let out a pained laugh.

"Well I'm glad you're here," he stretches his body over mine, hips placed in between mine, sitting back on his heels. His eyes survey my body arms snaking around hip bones. I pull the back of his neck toward me as we share a deep, loving kiss, slow moving with no urgency.

"Mercedes?" Tigris knocks from the outside of the door. "We did come back home with Coryo right?" Her muffled laugh nearly inaudible from the inside.

"Uh, yeah," I call back scrambling under Coriolanus jumping out of the bed quickly wrapping my robe around my bare body. Coriolanus stumbles to his feet looking like a baby deer running for the first time. Grabbing his boxers, he runs into the bathroom closing the door quietly behind him.

I open the door pressing my crazed hair down. Tigris scans around my room, a confused look on her face, "did you come home with someone?"

"What?" I scoff out, "Be serious-"

"Don't lie to me, Mercedes. I heard the bathroom door shut," She pushes past me. "I just wanna see who the lucky man is. Interrogate him a little bit maybe. I must've been blackout drunk I don't remember coming home at all."

"Oh Tigris not right now," I follow after her. She knocks on the bathroom door.

"Come out pretty boy, you don't get to spend the night with my best friend without my approval," She giggles throwing a wink back at me. It would be weird, but we inspect each others one night stands almost weekly.

The door knob turns and Coriolanus slowly opens the door, peeking his head around the corner, now looking like a deer in headlights, "Good morning Tigris."