16) Merchant of Venice

Aaliyah's POV,"Aaliyah! My love he said yes!" My mom came inside my room and started shouting

Aaliyah's POV,

"Aaliyah! My love he said yes!" My mom came inside my room and started shouting.

Oh god I've just woken up I cannot deal with her yelling.

Who said yes?

Her tailor? Who didn't want to make her blouse in a discounted price?

Walking to my bed again I said "Mumma please I don't care how your blouse neckline should look like." 

She smacked my head and said "I am not talking about my tailor. I am talking about Vidit!"

Vidit?

Vidit is going to sew her blouse?

"Finally! Now tell me your answer." She said while taking a seat next to me.

Huh?

OH.

MY.

GOD.

I abruptly stood on my feet and yelled "He said what?"

My mother India made me sit again and said "Look Alli. You father has a lot of hope from you this time. He wants you to say yes. Because he has le-" Before she could finish papa interrupted her and said "Oh I guess your mother told you about Vidit's answer."

What was mumma going to say?

Papa has what?

Besides hope of course.

Both mumma and papa were talking in some type of sign language where my dad was curtly nodding a 'no'.

Weirdos.

Mumma pulled a smile on her face and said "So? Do you feel the same way?"

Feel?

There are no feelings here.

Atleast from his side.

"I..I need to talk to him first before giving an answer." I said and went to the washroom to freshen up.

What is going on in that huge brain of his?

Is it his way of saying 'Take the blame of being the one to reject.'

It was Shriya's Mehendi today.

It starts in the afternoon.

I'll talk to him before that.

I texted him saying-

Me: Hey...I need to talk to you. Meet me on the giant balcony in an hour (Please).

His text came after a few minutes.

Grinch: Ok.

He agreed so easily.

Wow.

I wore my out fit for the day which was a pastel blue Anarkali suit.

I didn't do much painting on my face since I was getting very restless to talk to him.

I just applied kohl wore jhumkas and went to towards the garden area.

.

.

.

I sat on the bench while waiting for him.

He is not late I am early.

"What happened?" A voice came from behind giving me goosebumps all over.

No guy ever has made me feel so much on edge.

I hate it.

"Uhh..." I started but I lost the ability to speak as my eyes met his.

He was wearing a white shirt which was a little loose and khaki coloured trousers with sneakers.

Why is he so hot?

He makes me feel hot.

I am talking about the hotness which makes you sticky like a pig

His gaze makes me nervous and all sweaty.

Such a scary man.

"I don't have all day." He said while checking his watch.

I cleared my throat and said "R-right. So. I was saying...why did you say yes? Was it because you want me to say no or-"

"No. You can say yes." He said.

"Huh?" I said in confusion.

What is wrong with him!

"You wanted this right?" He said in a bored tone.

I bet I saw him suppress a yawn.

God promise!

Me?

"A-and who fed your delusion?" I asked and crossed my arms.

He shrugged.

He fucking shrugged.

Before I could say anything he said "Look. I do not care. You can say yes or no to this for all I care. I said yes for my mother so don't get your hopes up."

Now that I think about it....my view on marriage is different.

Can I elope?

Like Jessica from Merchant of Venice.

But I have no Lorenzo.

Fine.

Papa, Mumma I am doing this for you.

Since you like this giant so much.

Lets put endless conversations of "Get married"

I doubt I will be be able to put the trust in anyone again anyways.

And I am not someone wo generalizes male population. I have seen my brother and dad treat their woman like a queen.

But knowing myself, I will always have a doubt in the back dark stinky corners of my brain.

I can't keep up with having internal fights with my distrust if I start seeing someone.

 I took a deep breathe and looked at him and, He was looking at me with blank expression.

Why is it so hard to read him.

"Let's get married." I said and gave him a forced smile.

He scoff-laughed and said "Right. Fine. Let's do it." 

Was that him throwing shade?

.

.

.

My mumma and papa hugged me leaving me breathless.

"Ahhhh my daughter is getting married! I can finally brag about my son in law." Mumma gushed.

"Aaliyah my dear you made the right choice." Papa said happily.

I nodded and pressed my lips together.

While caressing my head mumma said "Dimple ji wants to talk to us so we will all have dinner with them." 

"Aloo!" Bhai's voice came from behind.

"Aloo you...are you sure you want this? Don't do it for papa or maa." He asked concern not only laced in his voice but on his face as well.

I nodded and put a smile on my face "Don't worry bhai I...think I am ready. Plus if papa mumma likes him he must be good. I have had the chance to converse with him in the past he is not that bad."

"Promise me that you are doing this not under pressure." He asked and dad said "Aryan-"

Bhai said "Papa please." in response.

I could feel my eyes getting filled with tears. 

I went and gave bhai a hug saying "Yes yes it is my decision and I swear I am fully sober!"

.

.

.

I went to Shriya's room.

How do I tell her?

Oh hey! I am getting married to someone I clearly do not love. (Maybe like or liked him a little)

Also he happens to be your husband's bestfriend!

"Oh it's about damn time! I have been calling you non stop Alli! She said and pulled me inside the room.

"Which one should I wear this or this?" She said and showed me two pair of neck pieces.

"Shriya..." I started and she hummed in response.

"Me and Vidit are getting married." I said and fiddled with my fingers.

"YOU AND VIDIT WHAT?" She yelled dropping to juice box she was holding.

"Yeahhh." I said and dropped on the bed with a thud.

She sat beside me and said "It's not april 1 and I am not in the mood to get fooled by a fool like you."

"Why would I use Vidit out of everyone to prank you?" I said and pinched her hardly.

"So that mean's he likes you too?" She said skeptically.

Should I tell her what he said to me?

Why not?

"He...only said yes because Dimple aunty likes me and wants him to marry me. He made it pretty clear."

"THEN WHY DID YOU SAY YES?" She squealed.

Gosh.

She burst my ear drums.

"Because mom and dad wants me to." I said and gave her a pair of neck piece out of the two.

"Guess it's best for two people whose love life is drier than Sahara desert." She said and shrugged.

"Shut up and go get ready." I said shooing her away.

.

.

.

Vidit's POV

"Why the fuck are you dancing?" I asked Yash who was busy doing some type of dance ever since he found out about me and Aaliyah.

Even though there is nothing to find out.

"Because my boo boo is finally getting married." He said and twirled his ass.

WHAT THE FUCK.

EWW.

I lost atleast 6 days of sleep after seeing his monstrosity.

I focused my attention to Maa and Vidhi who were ready to buy the whole world for my so called wedding.

"Maa." I called out.

She didn't budge.

"Maa" I raised my voice a little.

She sighed annoyingly and said "What?!"

"Maa we will have a court marriage." I declared.

"Huh what?!" She stood up from her seat and came towards me.

"Maa I said yes for you. Court marriage. That's it." I said and rubbed my temple.

No offense to my mother but all the women in my life seem oddly annoying these days.

"But..." She started but I interrupted her again and said "Maa please. I have never said no to you."

"But will they be okay with this decision of yours!" She yelled and I winced.

I don't care.

Voicing my thoughts I said "I don't care."