Chapter 19: The Challenge

The live broadcast ended successfully, and Miyako once again claimed first place. However, she was enveloped in a unhappy aura, though she hid it well in front of others. After thanking all the staff for their hard work, she made her way to the second floor where TriHime stood waiting for her in front of their room. Mio was standing cross armed on the door and by her side was Yuki, leaning on the beige wall, pressing a few buttons on her phone. Across the narrow hall stood Rei, one hand holding up her pink bejewelled hand mirror, and the other twirling her hair. None of them bat an eye when Miyako appeared before them.

"We were waiting for your arrival," Mio turned her head towards Miyako and smirked. Miyako was still in her concert outfit, her white skirt swaying back and fourth as she walked. The three TriHime members were also in their matching stage outfits, decorated with sequins and small studs.

"You wanted to tell me something?" Miyako crossed her arms and looked straight into the eyes of Mio.

After straightening her posture and coming face to face with Miyako, Mio sneered, "I'm tired of you cuddling around Ran-chan. Just because you've known him a little longer doesn't make you any more special."

Miyako didn't know what to say. Her face showed a clearly unconvinced face. Mio pointed towards Miyako as the other two stood on either side of their leader. "Let's end this, Miyako Hikaru, once and for all."

"Ha...?" Miyako let out, her facial expression seeming as if she was questioning their sanity.

Ignoring her, Mio continued, "Tomorrow, at noon, we are scheduled to be on the live show "Stars & Idols". You will understand what I mean when you watch it." Then, turning around, her back facing Miyako, Mio continued, "Until then," and she walked away, soon followed by Yuki who gave a cold stare at Miyako before walking off.

"Make sure you watch it, Kay?" Rei beamed at Miyako but that smile turned into a dark glare in an instant, "My dear ex-best friend, Mi.ya.ko-chan." Those words made Miyako freeze and her expression turned dark as she watched Rei skip away. Her fists were clenched tight.

Two figures that were overhearing their conversation from the shadows behind the corner stood nervously, trying to keep themselves from jumping out and blow their cover. They watched as Miyako stood, shaking, her expression dark. Miyako closed her eyes and collected herself again. Then she turned around to head back to her changing room. As soon as she took a step, she stopped and stood with her feet together.

"If you're trying to spy on someone, you should do it more secretively." Miyako's words were directed to the two figures, who flinched. Her back was facing the corner where the two people were hiding, and she didn't have turn around to know who they were.

"Ah haha...Were we that noticeable?" A familiar voice spoke as the two men walked out of the shadows. It was Reiji who was scratching the back of his head and Ranmaru who had his arms crossed and his eyes closed. Miyako didn't say anything as she simply turned her head slightly looked at them through the corner of her eye. After a second of silence between the three, Miyako turned her gaze back to the front, and started to walk back towards her dressing room. Her last look before walking off froze the two males in their spots, surprised. She had a look of indescribable loneliness in her eyes.

Miyako went straight to bed as soon as she got home. It was a tiring day and she wanted to get it over with. She woke up the next morning at six to the sun in her eyes and the sound of birds chirping. She went out for a quick jog around the park while the breeze was still out. The magenta haired female stopped by a small playground and sat on a swing, letting the wind blow through her long hair as she closed her eyes. Miyako enjoyed these peaceful moments amongst her busy schedules. Around an hour later, Miyako got back and got ready for the day. She guessed that she didn't look that great as she was asked numerous times if she was okay or if something was up. Every time, she responded with a smile, but the ones close to her knew something was wrong.

Miyako had a photoshoot from 11am to 2pm. She was chosen as the new muse for the popular fashion brand Aurora Borealis after numerous projects with that brand for two years. As noon approached, she turned on the channel that shows "Stars & Idols" live on her phone and checked on it during her short breaks. Her manager was helping her as well, as she would watch the show in Miyako's absence, and inform her once something important came up. The show was an hour long, and thirty minutes have passed without anything out of the ordinary. Miyako continued her photoshoot, concerned about the show, but once the camera was back on, none of her worries could be seen, and she shone brightly as she posed at the camera. Finally, ten minutes before the show ended, Miyako called for a break and went back to see her phone just as TriHime started their closing statement.

"And now, before we end today's episode of "Stars & Idols", Mizushima-san, do you have anything to say to all the viewers on behalf of the group?" The MC asked, as the screen switched to the familiar short brown haired girl.

"Actually, there is one thing... I'm sure everyone is aware of the top idol, and our rival, Miyako Hikaru. We noticed that we had never actually went head-to-head, so we thought, "why not?"," Mio paused, "We challenge you, Miyako Hikaru, to a duel live!" With Mio's sudden challenge, Miyako froze.
"The details for the duel will be discussed over with Miyako, assuming she accepts." The last part was emphasized, and those words sent a shiver down Miyako's spine. It was as if they were saying that she had to take on the challenge, no matter what. She watched as the show came to a close, and soon afterwards, a text arrived to her phone.

"You saw the show, right?" It read. The number was not registered onto her contacts, so she did not know who messaged her, but she had a feeling that the she knew who it was. Soon after, another text arrived. It read, "The challenge, you'll accept it, right?"
Even before she could reply, another text came from the same number. "QUARTET NIGHT is at stake, Miyako."

"What do you mean?" Miyako texted back.

"If you lose, Quartet Night will have to transfer to Milky Way Entertainment, and Mio will probably force them to be with her," the person on the other end of the phone texted back.

"And if I win?"

"Then we will leave you and Quartet Night alone for the rest of your lives. Perhaps we'll even disband. Fair?" The reply put a frown on Miyako's face.

"Oh! And I have a message from the leader. 'Stay away from my Ran-chan,' she says, although I could care less. I just want to see you suffering in defeat. I'm not going to make you wait long, Miyako. I'll have you bowing to me soon. Besides, it's not much compared to what you did to me in the past. Anyways, look forward to it, Kay? ^^~"

Miyako froze for a moment, then with trembling hands, started typing again.

"Is this Rei?" Miyako asked. She waited, but there was no reply. The staff called her to resume the photoshoot, and Miyako set her phone down. Just as she stood to return to the studio, her phone screen lit, a message of a smiley face popping up. This bothered her more than anything, even more than what put the two into such a relationship.