Chapter 32 - Escort (2)

Start from the beginning

Why should there be a big problem just because of one annoying person, even in movies? There was no need to unnecessarily escalate the situation.

I spread out the map, putting aside my ideals.

* * *

The escape went as planned, just as I had thought.

Thanks to Phiri, the search party and the encirclement were thrown into confusion, disrupting their personnel arrangement.

Of course, there were still plenty of devil worshipers as far as I had come, but it wasn’t that difficult.

Running through the snowy mountains on a night with falling snow, I arrived at the rendezvous point around midnight.

The road, wiped out by the snowfall throughout the day, was unrecognizable, but I could confirm it with the help of signposts.

To observe the surrounding dynamics, I took a position at a nearby vantage point and waited.

Now, all that remained was waiting.

I couldn’t sleep alone. However, just closing my eyes helped alleviate fatigue.

‘Well, I can sense it through Winds anyway.’

Although I was tired, I hadn’t experienced drowsiness in these past few days, thanks to the disrupted day-night cycle.

In the midst of the cold and monotonous passing of time, something unusual happened around 3 a.m.

Faint tremors and commotion were detected with Winds, originating from the east.

Expanding my senses, I could discern a person moving at high speed and several others chasing after them.

Though I couldn’t see their physical forms through Winds yet, I knew it wasn’t Phiri.

Phiri would never have come here.

In that case, the probability of it being a fleeing ally agent was high. I had heard there were four of them, but now there was only one.

Could it be Toun Zaha?

‘I can’t be certain.’

From the beginning, I didn’t expect all four of them to escape together. The most likely way for at least one of them to survive was for someone to attract attention while the rest fled in different directions.

But…

At that moment, who that person was didn’t matter. What mattered was how I would act.

‘Should I help? Or should I also leave?’

There was still a considerable distance between us. In the midst of the rising tension, I quickly turned my thoughts.

Intuitively, leaving seemed like the right decision, but I needed to organize my thoughts briefly.

For now, staying put was a bad idea.

Would the devil worshipers just stand by when that person passed through here?

‘Absolutely not.’

During the process of fleeing, it was impossible to know what information a spy might have leaked and where. They would likely search the escape route thoroughly. Whether I helped or not, eventually, I would also need to leave this place.

I also had to consider the ally disguised as the Merchant Guild. Problems would arise if they came here.

I had to warn them.

In the end, it boiled down to whether I would help or not.

Escape began shortly after 5 a.m. That meant the person had successfully evaded capture for over 10 hours, an impressive feat even with Phiri diverting attention.