Chapter Twenty-Two

The couple buying the house agreed to meet us at a local cafe. Looks like business was booming after I left. Most of the older buildings have been renovated to some hippie this or that or smoke shops. Old bookstores have been repainted and new street signs decorated the roads. Rainbow art covered the sidewalks, swirling into clouds or little puddles for water to wash away.

Crystal Cafe was a smaller place when I left. It had a single floor coffee shop with at max three tables. The displays were always creaking when you'd open them. The ceiling would be cracked and painted over rough patches with offset colors of white.

Now, they added a second floor. The display cases were shining new and the ceiling was a pretty baby blue. Outside there was always this one crack on the sidewalk that bicyclists would always avoid. Now, it was smooth as paper.

It's almost like this town was telling me all they needed was for me to leave to grow bigger. Like I was some poisonous thorn in its side. If I really wanted to make myself depressed...you can say they needed my parents to die to finally live.

From the identification photos sent to me, the couple seemed like the happy go lucky sort. The woman was tall and lean with dark hair, bright green eyes, and a bright smile. The man was even taller with sand colored hair and honey laced sockets that really unnerved me. People weren't meant to look so sweet.

I was hoping to see dark hanging eyes or bags when they walked but not even the cold weather brought them down. They were weighed down by at least ten pounds of layers yet they were practically floating. I wonder if they had experience fighting. No one else besides dancers carry themselves quietly. Even more unsettling.

Sookie took a sip of her warm coffee. Steam rose from her mug as she pulled it away from her lips. I slipped on a pleasant expression on my face. Damn fucking bitch, she wouldn't let me order one for myself. Something about the coffee playing with my nerves.

I didn't like damn coffee anyway. Too fucking bitter. My leg tapped a quick steady pace underneath the table. These people...I glanced around. Town folk were staring at us. More like staring at me. Familiar expressions filled their spaces as they recognized me.

Pity...

Pity...

"Um, are you two the Archer's?"

What a fake ass name.

They both lit up and rushed over to me. I almost slapped their hands aside when they reached out for a hand shake. If it weren't for so many people looking at me then maybe I would've. My eyebrow twitched as their cold, stiff hands slipped into mine.

"Oh, hello! It's so nice to meet you! I hope we didn't bother you coming out this early!"

Excuse me? Wasn't I the one who set the schedule? Why the hell was she apologizing? What is she playing here? Sookie pinched my arm. I didn't notice it but I started clenching my fist. I released my fist then stuck my right hand into my pocket. Word travels fast in a small town so I better behave myself.

"It's no problem at all. This is my friend from Korea. She's agreed to keep my company since my Uncle couldn't make it himself." Sookie was more than happy to greet them both, "He apologizes that he couldn't make it."

"We completely understand. Traveling all the way from Korea is difficult. We're just happy to meet with the daughter of the previous owners." Their faces fell, "We're so sorry for your loss."

You're sorry?

Ha...hahaha. Why do people always apologize? It just pisses me off!

The rest of the conversation was smart wordplay. They'd talk about themselves and when they'd ask about me I'd do my best to deflect it. Either directing the conversation back to themselves or giving some broad answer. Why should I have any sort of conversation with strangers trying to take my home away from me?