Chapter 65 : Late night pool chats

Chapter 65

Later...     

Selena POV

After dinner, everyone went inside and Curt went back home. But Riker and I went back outside. I led him over to the pool, which had lights in it, so it was lit up blue.

"Do you trust me?" I asked.

"You already know the answer to that."

I took Riker's hand and brought him to the edge of the pool.

"Will you jump in the pool with me?"

Riker nodded, which shocked me. I didn't think he'd give in so easily.

I held his hand tight, counted to 3, and we jumped in. When we got back up to the surface, I pulled him over to the ladder so we could hold onto it.

"I'm surprised," I said.

"About what?"

"You jumped in the pool, like it was nothing."

"You asked if I trusted you."

"I know, but I wasn't expecting you to just jump in."

"I've been thinking a lot lately. And right now, you, Curt, and Rocky are really special people in my life. You're all trying to help me. You all genuinely care about me. So I'm trying to be more open to what you guys are telling me. I know you won't let anything happen to me."

I ran my fingers through his wet hair.

"Good. I like this new mindset of yours."

Riker smiled and then came closer and kissed me.

"I'm not trying to say bad things about myself, but I seriously can't believe that you're my girlfriend."

"Well I can't believe you're my boyfriend."

I kissed him again. It was so perfect, being in the pool at night, alone with Riker. I feel like this is the first time he hasn't been stressed out about something. And it's really nice to see him smiling.

"Riker."

"What?"

"I'm really happy you're living with the Lynchs now. They seem like really nice people, especially Rocky with how he's taken care of you. I'm glad you're out of your other house. I really think once you have time to get to know them all better, you won't be so nervous and stressed."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Is it bad... if I don't really feel like they're my family?"

"What do you mean exactly?"

"I guess I just feel like Rocky's a friend, like you and Curt. I don't really know what it feels like to have siblings. So he just seems like a friend. I don't know. And I barely know Stormie and Mark. And Rocky wants me to call them mom and dad."

"Do you think you would ever call them mom and dad?"

"I think there's a chance I might with Stormie. She seems really nice. I just haven't gotten a chance to really know her. I was nervous for her to find out about my cuts, but she wasn't mad or anything. She wanted to see my wrists and she was really gentle when she was looking at them and touching them."

"What about Mark?"

"No. Rocky wants me to, but I just don't like the thought of having another dad. And if I don't call him dad, I can pretend I don't have one."

"I know you don't want a dad because of how traumatized you were. But maybe don't be so closed minded. Maybe once you get to know him you'll feel differently."

"I doubt it."

"I thought you said he wasn't mad and didn't yell when you cut at the cabin."

"Well yeah, but he also forced me into the lake at the cabin to try to make me swim and did a bunch of other things that made me super uncomfortable. So..."

"I know. But you might feel different in the future."

"They still don't feel like family though."

"Well maybe they will if you give it time. You haven't lived here very long yet."

We heard footsteps and looked up to see Rocky walking towards us. We were both still in the pool, hanging onto the ladder.

"What are you two up to out here?" Rocky asked.

"We're just talking," Riker said.

"Really? Because Rydel said she saw you guys kissing."

"Yeah well maybe we did that too," Riker said.

"Mom wants you to come inside because it's getting late."

"Ok. I'll be inside in a minute."

"Ok."

Rocky left. Riker turned back towards me and kissed me again. And then hugged me super tight.

"Thank you for today," Riker said.

"What do you mean?"

"For being there for me. And loving me even if I think I don't deserve it."

"I love you, Riker."

"I love you too."

We pulled apart and kissed one more time. Riker couldn't stop smiling.

"Before I go inside, can I just ask you something?"

"Go ahead."

"Can we go on a date? Like a real date. Just the 2 of us," Riker said.

"Sure. You can pick what we do or where we go if you want."

"Yes. I really want to plan something. Something special to thank you for everything."

"Riker, I haven't even done anything."

"No. You don't understand. Seriously."

"Ok, well don't go crazy. It doesn't have to be something crazy or expensive or fancy. I'd love doing anything with you."

"Ok. It's going to be a surprise though. So when I figure out what we're doing, I'm not telling."

"Ok. But seriously, you don't need to go crazy."

"You'll have to wait and see what I do."

I got out of the pool and so did Riker. He pulled me in for one last hug.

"I love you. Thank you," Riker said.

He kissed me one more time and then went inside. I'm so curious what he's going to plan for our date. But I'm excited that we're doing more for our relationship. I felt like we had no time to spend together before. And I feel like the closer we become, the more I can help him. I just have this feeling that getting to know his family is going to be a big deal and won't go smoothly. And I want him to come to me if he needs to talk.

I walked back home. This is the most at peace I've ever felt.