Chapter 13 : Caught

Chapter 13

Later...   

Riker POV

I had been sitting in the waiting room at the hospital for hours. Only family members were allowed in Selena's dad's room, so I was stuck out here. I was getting really bored until Curt showed up and sat down next to me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I just wanted to try talking to Selena," Curt said.

"Well she's been in her dad's room for hours, so I don't know how long you'll have to wait."

"How is she?"

"Upset."

"About her dad or me?"

"Both. What happened between you guys? Why were you fighting?"

"Last night before she went to her house, she kissed me. And then pushed me away. I have no idea what that was about. So I just wanted to talk about it with her and she's refusing."

"Oh... Wow..."

"Has she said anything about it?"

"No. Just that she's tired of you trying to get her to talk about her feelings and stuff."

"That's normal for her."

"I figured."

"So you've been here a while?"

"Yeah. I'm getting really hungry."

"So then let's go somewhere and get food."

"I don't have any money."

"I do."

"I don't want you to have to keep paying for me."

"It's fine, Riker. Come on. Let's go get something to eat."

Later...

Riker POV

After we had dinner, Curt went back to the hospital to wait for Selena so I could go home because I was getting really tired.

I walked home, which wasn't very far, but it was dark which made me a little nervous. When I walked up to my house, I could see my bedroom light on. Did I leave it on before I left?

I slowly walked up to my window and peeked inside. My dad was sitting on my bed, waiting for me.

"Get in here."

I felt my heart start racing as I climbed back into my bedroom. He's supposed to be asleep. Why was he waiting for me?

My dad stood up and grabbed the back of my shirt, which felt like it was choking me. He dragged me backwards, out of my room, into the kitchen. I was just trying to not trip over my own feet.

He shoved me towards the kitchen table and finally let go of my shirt. I pulled it away from my neck.

"Sit."

I sat down at the table and dad sat down across from me.

"Where were you?"

"I was just out with friends," I said, quietly.

"Who?"

"Just our neighbors."

"Have you been sneaking out?"

"Um... Sometimes?"

"Why do you think it's ok to sneak out?"

"I just... I didn't want to wake you up by going through the front door, so I just figured-"

"You figured it was fine to sneak out?"

My heart was pounding and I felt myself getting a little dizzy from my nerves.

"I'm sorry," I said, softly.

"Sorry's not good enough! What if you got kidnapped out there? Or hurt? Or killed?"

"I'm sorry," I said, again.

"Well I'm making sure this never happens again."

"How?"

"I'm going to nail your window shut. And you're going to need to do a lot of chores for the consequences of your actions. You can start by doing the dishes."

Dad got up and left. He went outside, and I could hear him hammering nails into my window. I felt extremely panicky because now I have no way to escape.

I did the dishes, and then went to my room. Dad was still nailing my window shut.

I got my pjs and went to go take a shower. I started crying. Nothing was going my way. And it's getting closer and closer to the start of school. The last thing I need is bad grades and bullies.

I got out of the shower and got dressed. And then I got into bed.

"Get up!"

The lights flicked on in my room. I sat up. Dad was in my doorway.

"Go clean the basement."

"The basement?"

"Yes."

"But... I don't like the basement."

Dad came over and grabbed my shirt again. I fell off my bed, and he just kept dragging me. He opened the basement door and pulled me in front of it.

"Go."

I felt myself starting to cry.

"Please, no."

He pushed me forward. I took a few steps down the stairs. He shut the door and shut the lights off, leaving me in total darkness.

"No! Let me out!"

I ran back to the top of the stairs and tried to open the door. But it was locked.

"Please let me out! I'll be good! I promise! Please!"

I started pounding on the door.

"Dad! Please!"

I felt myself getting dizzy again. I lowered myself to the steps and sat down. I tried to take deep breaths and calm myself down. I'm ok. It's dark. But I'm ok.

I couldn't stop hyperventilating. I couldn't control my breathing. I knew I was having a panic attack.

I ran my fingers through my hair and shut my eyes tight.

Stop panicking. Stop thinking about it. Just stop.

I stood up and walked down to the bottom of the stairs carefully. I could see a tiny bit of moonlight coming in through the windows.

I went over to one of the windows. It was really small because our basement was mostly underground. I unlocked it and pushed it open. I just need to try to squeeze through here.

I pushed myself up with my hands. And I was able to crawl through. And I took off running.