Chapter 4 : Windows

Chapter 4

Later...

Selena POV  

I was getting bored of working on my drawing. I worked on it for a few hours, but my hand was getting tired. I hadn't heard anything from Riker's house in a few hours. I don't know what happened earlier.

I got ready for bed and when I got back to my room, I heard noise again, and I was surprised because it was past midnight.

I shut my light off and sat down on my bed again. I could see Riker's light on. He was standing near his bedroom door, pushing on it.

"I didn't have any dinner! Please! I haven't had anything since lunch!"

He couldn't get his door open. What's going on?

He pushed on it for a little longer and then slid to the floor and just sat there. He covered his face with his hands and then laid down on the floor. I'm super confused.

He sat up after a few minutes and shut his light back off again. He got into bed. I could hear him crying.

I opened my window as much as I could and then popped the screen out. I climbed out and walked over to Riker's window. And I tapped on it.

Riker sat up quickly, looking confused.

"You scared me," he said softly, wiping his tears.

"Are you ok? What's going on?" I asked.

"Nothing. I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You seem really upset. And you have a black eye."

"I promise I'm fine. Really."

"Are you hungry?"

"Um... No, I'm fine."

"Really? Because I thought I heard you say that you hadn't eaten anything since lunch."

"Ok, I haven't. Can you please just not tell!?"

"Tell who?"

"Anyone. Please promise me you won't say anything."

"Ok, I promise. But why?"

"Because I'll get in trouble if anyone knows."

"If anyone knows what?"

"Anything. Please just don't say anything to anyone."

"I won't. But are you hungry? Or hurt? Do you need help?"

"I'm a little hungry. But I'm ok. I can just wait until tomorrow."

"Did your dad lock you in your room?"

"Yes, but it's not a big deal. Don't say anything."

"I won't. But what's going on?"

Riker sighed.

"Please just don't tell."

"Why do you keep saying that?"

"Because you can't tell!"

He was getting upset again. I'm still confused about what's going on, but he seems like he needs help. Or food at least.

"Can you take your screen out?"

"How do I do it?" He asked, wiping his tears again.

"Push the bottom corners of the screen."

Riker got the screen out. I took it and set it on the grass, leaning against his house. I held my hand out to him and helped him climb out his window.