071. no wonder why

G O O D G I R L S,
chapter seventy-one

G O O D   G I R L S, chapter seventy-one

third person.

"jonah!" penelope called out to the boy.

it was now after the final bell on the monday, people everywhere in the hallways and weaving in and out of other students way as they all rushed to their cars and to make it in time for the buses. but she had a little detour she wanted to make.

knowing the football team worked out in the school gym every monday, she had a good idea on where she'd find jonah. and she was right. easily being able to spot the tall brunette jock with one of his friends — then causing him to look over at her before stopping for her. 

"i'll catch up," he shooed the other boy off. "what's up, nel?"

"um.. are you going to keep your promise this time?" she slightly mumbled as she softly gazed into his eyes.

"yeah i'll tell them," he simply brushed it off.

"tell them what?" she questioned — wanting to double check he remembered the deal.

"that i lied about you."

"and?"

"and i'm shit in bed. i'll tell them, i promise."

"i wanna listen," she folded her arms.

"how?" he furrowed. "you can't just come in the boy's locker room and it'll just be weird if you're in the gym when i tell them."

"well i could connect my headphones to your phone and use the live listen feature," she shrugged.

"why? can't you just trust me, i'm going to tell them, i promise."

"last time you promised me something you went and done the opposite.."

"i won't this time, nel," he grabbed her hand, gently stroking his thumb across the back of her hand. "i won't mess up again."

"i want to listen.."

"but-"

"please jonah," she continued to beg. "why don't you want me to."

"fine, okay?" he gave in without saying his reasoning. "but they're boys and you were looking very hot the other night so i can't promise that they aren't going to say inappropriate things."

"o-okay.."

"here, do what it is that you want to do," he practically ignored her replied as he handed her his phone after unlocking it.

"thanks.."

"you know you can trust me," he added, watching as she grabbed her headphones out of her school bag. "i don't know why you won't."