058. can't take the hint

G O O D G I R L S,
chapter fifty-eight

G O O D   G I R L S, chapter fifty-eight

third person.

"it's weird working with you today," brinlee slightly laughed as she was organising the clean cutlery and the other wiped down the counter tops. "i can't believe you of all people are suspended.."

"let's not talk about it.."

"are you still seeing that boy?" she raised a brow as she turned around to face her.

"no, not anymore" penelope party muttered whilst she avoided making eye contact. "he's the reason i'm suspended.."

"he seemed like bad new anyway," she shrugged. "i also hope that other girl broke up with him, he shouldn't get away with dating the both of you."

"mh.." she softly hummed as she turned around to face the elder. "he came over mine the other night after everything and basically begged for me to not end things and how he'd break up with her to be with me properly- and if i was still in my like 'my crush is into me' daze i probably would've agreed, but no my friends have already talked me out of it. and the worst part is he just can't take the hint.."

"speaking of.." brinlee let out an awkward chuckle in response to the boy walking through the door, causing the other to glance over her should and let out a small sigh. "do you want me to serve?"

"yes please," she nodded.

stepping away from the front counter as the boy approached, penelope minded her own business and refused looking at him or even say a word in response to his greeting as she slowly started cleaning the bench where brinlee was stood prior.

"you may pay when you're ready," brinlee mentioned, leaving him to do so as she moved over to the coffee machine.

"nelly.." he called out to her while putting his card back into his wallet. "nel, c'mon i know you can hear me.."

"i don't want to talk to you, jonah."

"i'm trying to get sancho to end your suspension-"

"well stop!" she scoffed in frustration as she turned to face him. "i'm fine, i don't care anymore so just worry about yourself instead. also you should be school right now."

"i have a free," he shrugged. "anyway, i tried to take the blame but said i'd get suspended too and that's kinda pointless cause it doesn't get this dropped from your record and you have to understand that i have a lot more to loose, no offence, so i'm sorry."

"you know.." she walked over closer to him after brinlee had handed him his coffee. "if you never met me or showed any interest in me, i could've just continued having a silly little innocent crush on you and believing that the version of you i had in my head was who you were.."

"but no, instead you ruined it all by agreeing to your friends childish bets and dating two people at once," she continued to ramble. "you're eighteen, jonah, technically an adult, so maybe you should start acting like it. maybe get a job to make money instead, maybe stop agreeing to stupid things, maybe respect my decisions.. just some ideas."

"i really like you penny, i don't know why you can't understand that.." he said with slight sincerity in his tone. "please just give me another chance, i won't mess it up this time.."

"just leave me alone, please," she begged. "how many times do i have to tell you?"

"can i come over tonight? prove that i've changed?"

"dude," their on duty chef, levi, came out to the front after brinlee had gone to get him, causing the younger girl to look back at him and visibly showing a sign of relief. "she asked you to leave, so go before this turns into a bigger situation."

"and the answer's no," penelope added to her classmate's prior question. "you hurt me jonah. you publicly shamed and embarrassed me. i'm not just going to forgive you easily like it was nothing. so please just go back to school, stop trying to win me over or whatever it is that you think you're doing."

"okay, i'm going.." jonah gave in, picking his drink back up off the counter.

"so you keep saying.." she partly muttered as she folded her arms.

"you okay?" levi asked the girl after jonah had walked out of the cafe, receiving a small nod from her. "alright, if he comes back in just come out the back, we'll get things handled."

"he's harmless.. i think," penelope replied as she thought about it herself for a second. "but thanks, thank you."

"anytime.."

AUTHOR'S NOTE!
ngl i forgot about this book
after last updating it .. whoops
i'm back now. hopefully