𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

𝑁𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑎𝑓𝑓𝑎𝑖𝑟𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑚𝑒𝑛 𝑖𝑠
𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑡ℎ𝑦 𝑜𝑓 𝑔𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑡 𝑎𝑛𝑥𝑖𝑒𝑡𝑦
— 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐨

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑴𝑰𝑺𝑺 𝑪𝑳𝑬𝑴𝑬𝑵𝑻?" 𝑴𝑹𝑺. Lark stopped Evangeline from getting on the school bus with Arlo as they prepared for their field trip.

        Evangeline stepped aside from the line of students and Arlo clammored onto the bus, finding a seat for them where he could listen to their teacher's words. "Yeah?" Evangeline asked nervously, unsure of why her science teacher wanted to speak to her.

        Mrs. Lark frowned. "You will be on your best behavior today during this trip. That is my expectation." she demanded. Evangeline was confused because she never acted out at school. Ever.

        Her brows furrowed. "But I haven't done anything—" Evangeline tried meekly, her blue eyes dull with disappointment.

        "That's enough. On the bus now." Mrs. Lark pointed and Evangeline sauntered to the back of the line, ignoring the stares and laughs that came her way. She settled beside Arlo, holding her backpack in her lap.

        Arlo frowned. "Are you okay? What did she want?" he pretended he hadn't listened to their conversation and that he wasn't suspicious of Mrs. Lark.

         Evangeline shrugged. "Nothing. It's fine." she was too good at hiding things than a freshly twelve year old should've been.

        Arlo didn't comment and they kept themselves busy on the bus ride into the city of Chicago, getting off at the museum they were visiting. Mrs. Lark led their class into the building, handing them each a work packet to fill out during their visit. Evangeline and Arlo were under her watchful eye from the time they got off the bus to when she gave them their packets.

        "Spread out among the museum with a classmate to complete your packet. If you cannot find an answer come speak to me. Failure to complete this assignment will result in many implications. Dismissed." Mrs. Lark warned and her class immediately dispersed, Arlo and Evangeline finding their way to the animal section of the museum.

        Evangeline smiled, seeing a part of the animal section devoted to doves and swans. They were animals of love, and Evangeline always wished to love someone like a swan loved their mate, and to be loved back in the same way. She looked down at her work packet, the letters all jumbling together in a way she couldn't understand. "Don't worry. You can use my answers." Arlo smiled, bumping shoulders with his best friend.

        "Thanks." Evangeline said quietly, feeling guilty that Arlo was cheating for her. But it wouldn't matter at all whether or not they finished their work packet that day, because Evangeline and Arlo would not be returning to Jameson Academy ever again.

- • ꕥ • -

EVANGELINE, PERCY AND Annabeth came upon the amusement park Ares had directed them to. It was surprisingly empty, and Evangeline knew enough to be skeptical of the situation. "I haven't seen a lot of horror movies, but this seems like exactly the kind of place they'd suggest to avoid." Percy said as they stood in front of the entrance to the park.