𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑖𝑡 𝑖𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑡ℎ 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑎 𝑚𝑎𝑛 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑓𝑒𝑎𝑟, 𝑏𝑢𝑡 ℎ𝑒 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑓𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑛𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑏𝑒𝑔𝑖𝑛𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑙𝑖𝑣𝑒
— 𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐮𝐬

- • ꕥ • -

𝐋𝐔𝐊𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐒 Evangeline gently touched the cut on his hand. They sat together by one of the large fires in camp after cleaning up from the game. "I'm sorry," Evangeline dropped Luke's hand and  fixed his curls. "Who did it?"

        "Will. I don't think he likes me very much." Luke said, stoking the fire to keep Evangeline warm as night neared.

        Evangeline chuckled quietly, dropping her head to Luke's shoulder. "You are dating his little sister." she pushed her wavy hair behind her shoulders, her blonde locks removed from her braids.

        Luke kissed the top of her head, fingers fumbling with her hair. "Heard you go off on Clarisse. I'm proud of you." Luke said quietly so as not to disrupt the peace he and Evangeline were wrapped in.

        "Thanks. I'm sorry I used the whistle on you guys." Evangeline held onto Luke's muscular arm, her blue eyes closed in a state of bliss.

        "Don't ever be sorry for using what your mother gave you. It worked for a while. If Clarisse had a better security system, you would have won." Luke kept the fire alive as Evangeline slowly began to drift off to sleep.

        A little while later, Percy walked over to the couple after just moving into Poseidon's cabin. "Eva, can I talk to you?" Percy asked quietly, nervously.

        Evangeline sat up straight, fluffing out her hair. "Yeah, what's up?" she asked.

        "I have to talk to Chiron and Mr. D. I don't want to do it alone." Percy revealed and Evangeline smiled.

        "I'll meet you there," Percy started walking away and Evangeline turned to Luke. "Go for a walk after sunset?" she asked hopefully. Moonlight walks along the lake were the best ways to decompress after a long day.

        Luke pulled her in for a gentle kiss, their lips molding together. "I'll meet you at the lake." he whispered, and then kissed her once more before Evangeline pulled away and stood up, following Percy.

        Evangeline was in no rush, and by the time she got to the office, Percy was already in a heated discussion with Mr. D about accepting a quest to find Zeus' master bolt. "The fate of the world hangs in the balance. You will accept this quest!" Mr. D shouted.

        "I won't!" Percy yelled, Evangeline stepping to his side.

        Evangeline looked at Chiron. "It's Percy, isn't it? The demigod Aphrodite wants me to help?" she questioned, remembering the conversation they had had six months ago.

        Chiron nodded. "This is your quest, too, Evangeline. You have already been choosen to accompany Percy." he said and Evangeline rolled her eyes.

        "Lucky me." she mumbled. Evangeline knew there was no way to get out of a quest once you were choosen, so she didn't bother to argue.

        "I'm your quest? Why didn't you tell me that?" Percy said suddenly, eyes wide with confusion from all the new information he had learned.

        "I didn't know—" Evangeline tried to explain, but she was cut off.

        "Hey, everybody." Grover interuppted, walking into the office.

        "Grover, now is not the time." Chiron warned, shaking his head at the saytr.

        "I'm sorry, sir. But I have news." Grover persisted, looking at Percy and Evangeline.

        "Grover..."

        But Grover didn't listen. "Sally Jackson is alive," he revealed, and Evangeline's eyes widened. She looked at Percy, seeing the reaction he held at hearing his mother's name. "It looked like she died, but it only looked that way."

        "Grover." Mr. D said firmly, and Grover ignored his superiors once again.

        "Your mother was stolen... by Hades. Which means she's with him now, in the Underworld. That's where they want you guys to go too, isn't it?" Percy glared at Chiron and Mr. D for not telling him any of this. "If you can find her there... I think you can bring her back."

        There was a moment of silence, and then Percy's entire attitude shifted. "When do we leave?" Evangeline smiled at him, a hand on his shoulder.

        "There's more." Grover continued.

        "Grover!" Chiron shouted.

        Grover ignored him. "Evangeline, I think Noah's down there, too," Evangeline snapped her head over to him, her blue eyes wide and full of shock. "Your saytr protector said it looked like he disappeared when the chimera grabbed him--"

        "Stop. Please, stop," Evangeline cut Grover off. She couldn't deal with rehashing Noah's death. Evangeline turned to Chiron and Mr. D. "Is he telling the truth? Is he down there?" she asked firmly, stepping away from Percy.

        Chiron nodded scornfully. "Yes. Noah is in the Underworld with Hades." the centaur revealed and Evangeline scoffed.

        "So he's been down there, alone, for almost six years? Were you ever gonna tell me?" Evangeline raised her voice at the god and the centaur.

        "You have to focus on the quest, on getting Zeus his master bolt. Forget about Noah." Mr. D said harshly and Evangeline couldn't believe what she was hearing.

        "Who's Noah?" Evangeline heard Percy ask as she left the office. All these years, and her brother had been alive, suffering, waiting for her to save him. Now that Evangeline knew, she wasn't just going to get Zeus' bolt back. She was going to save Noah.

- • ꕥ • -