𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑗𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑛𝑒𝑦 𝑖𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑗𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑛𝑒𝑦 𝑖𝑛𝑤𝑎𝑟𝑑𝑠"
— 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐨

- • ꕥ • -

𝐆𝐑𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐂𝐘 stood on either side of Evangeline as they watched Annabeth say goodbye to Thalia's tree. Evangeline hadn't had the opportunity to ever meet Thalia, but from the stories Luke, Annabeth and Grover had told her, she knew she was a brave demigod. As Annabeth said her goodbyes, Evangeline counted the money Chiron had given Percy. Grover and Percy decided that Evangeline would handle all of their expenses.

"200 mortal dollars? That's all they gave us? Is this quest low priority to them?" Evangeline gaped, putting the money into her backpack.

Grover shrugged and Percy found intrigue in Annabeth and the pine. "She's really gonna miss that tree, huh?" Percy said aloud, holding the box containing Luke's winged shoes.

Grover glanced at Evangeline before he spoke. "When Annabeth first arrived here with Thalia and Luke, they were being chased by monsters. Agents of Hades. Sisters."

"Furies," Percy said, a chill went down Evangeline's spine at the mention of the monsters she had dealt with all those years ago. "Mrs. Dodds?" he asked.

"Yes. One was our algebra teacher. Alecto." Grover recalled.

"Tisiphone was my science teacher. Called herself Mrs. Lark." Evangeline said, staring off into the distance. Grover was surprised because she rarely spoke of her past.

Grover looked at Thalia's tree. "Thalia turned back to fight to buy her friends some time. Her saytr Protector tried to stop her, but she wouldn't listen. So, at the last moment... Zeus intervened to save her life and... changed her form." he explained. Evangeline wasn't sure why Grover hadn't yet told Percy he was Thalia, Luke and Annabeth's Protector, but she didn't comment on it.

"The most powerful being in the universe's best idea to save his daughter's life... was to turn her into a tree?" Percy questioned.

"She was the bravest demigod I ever knew. She fought valiantly, and she met a hero's fate." Annabeth spoke as she made her way over to the trio.

"She met a pinecone's fate." Percy pointed to the tree.

Evangeline looked at him. "Why would you say that? Like, why?" she was always surprised at the things that came out of Percy's mouth.

Annabeth frowned. "Forbidden children are always in danger, even the strongest ones, even Thalia. And you are not Thalia. Do exactly as I say, and maybe you survive this. Are we clear?" the young warrior said fiercly.

"Annie, go easy, okay?" Evangeline said quietly and Annabeth sighed, turning and walking away.

Evangeline left Percy and Grover behind and moved forward with Annabeth. "Grover said you can save your brother." Annabeth bursted, getting straight to the point as they passed Thalia's pine.

"I don't want to talk about it." Evangeline brushed off, tucking a stray hair behind her ear.

"You never want to talk about anything. I don't think you've ever even mentioned your dad." Annabeth persisted, shielding her eyes from the sun.

Evangeline sighed quietly. "There's nothing to tell. We had a quiet life. Please stop asking me about it." the blonde said firmly and Annabeth knew enough to back off.