𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐕𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝑎𝑙 𝑜𝑓 𝑙𝑖𝑓𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑙𝑖𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑖𝑛
𝑎𝑔𝑟𝑒𝑒𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑛𝑎𝑡𝑢𝑟𝑒
— 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐮𝐬 𝐀𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐬

- • ꕥ • -

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐋𝐘 five months later that Grover  Underwood returned to camp with a young demigod named Percy who killed a Minotaur on the hill outside the Mist. Annabeth of course went to spy on the thirteen-year-old blonde boy the second he landed himself in the infirmary. Evangeline knew how awful Percy was feeling after losing his mother, as she had faced a similar situation when Noah brought her to camp.

        Evangeline had been practicing on using her bracelet in the recent months. She could control it much better now, and it overall made her a more confident person. If anything, people only envied her and wished to be her more because of the power she now possessed. One look at someone and Evangeline could destroy their lives. Not that she would, of course. Unless provoked.

        She enjoyed threatening those she hated with her abilities. Clarisse and the rest of her little army, mainly. Evangeline was being careful not to create new enemies with her little stunts, and they never went farther than a herd of boys clobbering a group of girls, or the the other way around. She used just enough magic for a some fun and games.

        Though Luke tried to deny it, Evangeline's whistle and her glowing eyes were affecting him more and more with each day she practiced. But Luke would never tell her not to use her bracelet. Instead, he focused on fighting off her magic. Luke had to admit that Evangeline was a much better version of herself now that she had been claimed and was settling into Cabin X. He loved how special she was finding everything.

        Percy heard footsteps behind him as he held the blue sweets his mother gave him and stood up with a sigh. "Look, if you want to give me a hard time, just do it tomorrow. I can't do any more today." Percy said to Luke, who towered over him.

        "Heard what happened to you on the hill. And I just... wanted to say I'm really sorry. I know what you're going through. Believe me," Luke said calmly, sticking his hand out to Percy. "I'm Luke."

        "Percy," the young blonde boy shook Luke's hand. He dropped his grip at the sound of a whistle, turning to the end of the cabin to see a beautiful blonde girl smiling at a dove that landed on her shoulder. "Who is that?" Percy asked. Practically all eyes in the cabin turned to Evangeline because of her whistle.

        Luke's face was stone cold, his arms crossed. "That's Evangeline. My girlfriend." he eyed Percy seriously, as if he thought a tween was any competition for him.

        Evangeline tucked her blonde hair behind her ears and the dove flew away. "That thing she did? What was it?" Percy asked, watching as Evangeline began to make her way into the cabin.

        "She's Aphrodite's daughter. Comes with the territory, I guess." Luke shrugged and his cold stare disappeared when Evangeline walked over to him.

        "Hey, you," Evangeline smiled, gently pecking his cheek before turning to Percy. "It's Percy, right? I'm Evangeline." she said with shiny blue eyes, Luke's necklace displayed on her neck, the silver material contrasting her orange shirt.

        Percy nodded. "Hi." he said, an awkward and tight-lipped smile on his face.

        Evangeline leant towards Luke's side. "I'm really sorry about your mom. It's terrible. I bet she was really proud of you." the blonde girl said sweetly, offering Percy a sympathetic smile.

        "Thanks." Percy said. He decided it was enough social interaction for one day and moved back to his belongings. Evangeline and Luke left him alone and moved to Luke's bed, laying together above his sheets. Her head rested on his chest and his fingers drawled up and down her back in a comforting manner.

- • ꕥ • -

𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 Cabin XI the following morning, frazzled from the night she had had. Her blonde hair was in a slicked back braid, her camp shirt on with a pair of jeans and her high-top converse. "Luke." Evangeline whispered, her boyfriend sitting up on his bed.

        "Angel, hey. You all right?" Luke asked, speaking lowly so he didn't wake up the other campers in the cabin.

        "Yeah, I'm fine. Just a tough night for Cabin X." Evangeline shrugged, standing in front of Luke as he swung his legs over the bed and sat up straight.

        Luke frowned. "With you or your brothers?" he asked in concern, fingers toying with his dark curls.

        "Them. Alex had a nightmare that woke me up and I went to calm him down. I tripped on a shoe and woke Jamie up, who hit Andrew with a pillow. Then Will woke up and yelled at us to go back to sleep, which woke up Tyler and Cooper. They were all going back to sleep and I tripped on another shoe and woke up Steven and Freddie." Evangeline summarized the restless night she had endured.

        Luke lifted up Evangeline's leg, placing her foot on his knee so he could tie her shoe. "Did you ever go back to sleep?" Luke asked as he knotted the laces of her converse.

        Evangeline nodded. "For a bit, yeah," Luke lowered her leg and she moved her gaze to Percy. "How's he doing?" she asked, watching as Percy slept in his sleeping bag.

        "He's been quiet. Can't really blame him," Luke brushed off. He looked back up at Evangeline. "Made anyone obsess over you today?" he said while smoothing out his curls.

        "Besides you, not yet." Evangeline smiled, reaching down to fix Luke's necklace.

        Before the son of Hermes could respond, Percy jolted awake with a shout, breathing heavily. "You okay?" Luke stood up, walking towards the center of the cabin with Evangeline beside him.

        "Super." Percy exhaled, sitting up.

        "We all have them, you know," Luke clicked his tongue. "Intense, recurring nightmares. That's normal here." his hand found the small of Evangeline's back.

        Percy stood up out of his sleeping bag. "The daydreams, and the ADHD, and the dyslexia too." Evangeline listed.

        "Demigods just process reality differently than humans do. For the first time in your life, you're just like everyone else." Luke gave Percy a light smile, the blonde boy standing before the older teens.

        "So are you also... do you guys not know who your—" Percy struggled with asking the question.

        "Are we unclaimed?" Luke asked and Percy nodded. "No. Hermes is my father." he said in almost disgust.

        "I was unclaimed for almost six years. Aphrodite claimed me a few months ago. Percy, it doesn't matter how long it takes for your father to claim you." Evangeline hoped to ease Percy anxiety about not being claimed.

        "We're all on the same team here." Luke said with a small smile.

        Percy frowned. "Why is that okay? Why do they get to bring us here to just ignore some of us?" Evangeline had been asking herself the same question for a long time.

        "Spend too much time trying to figure out why the gods do whatever it is they do, you'll drive yourself crazy. Sooner you stop worrying about that, the sooner you can enjoy what this place actually does offer." Luke said.

        "And what's that?" Percy wondered.

        Evangeline smiled. "Glory."

- • ꕥ • -