𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑜𝑛𝑙𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑑 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑠𝑒𝑒𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑒𝑛𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝑤𝑎𝑟"
— 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐨

- • ꕥ • -

𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊, 𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 ask to be a half-blood. She would've rather been anything else. But she was a half-blood, and fighting Greek gods came with the job. So much fighting, so much loss, so much hurt. So many gutwrenching memories that made Evangeline want to scream and cry every day. But also, so much friendship, so much knowledge, so much love. So many joyous memories that made Evangeline smile and beg to think of again and again.

As Percy stalked towards Ares with his sword drawn, Evangeline remembered a time not too long ago when she and Luke taught him to fight. How things had changed since Percy came to camp. The way Luke had spoken that way should've raised flags in Evangeline's mind, but she loved him too much to even think that way at all.

Love was the reason Evangeline still hadn't connected the dots about her cursed necklace.

"Single combat!" Percy shouted suddenly at the God of War. Evangeline figured he was thinking of the same moment she was.

Ares scoffed. "What?" he removed his sword from his shoulder.

"What?" Grover asked.

"What?" Annabeth shouted.

"What?" Evangeline gaped.

"One-on-one, but I set the terms. If I draw first blood, I keep the bolt and you surrender the helm," Percy said boldly, his sword never leaving from its position against Ares. The god laughed maniacally at Percy's words. "Do you accept?" the demigod said.

Ares continued to laugh. "I mean it's your funeral, kid. Although, just to be clear, no funeral. Any trace of you leaves a trace of my plan, and we can't have that." he said, and Percy lowered his sword.

Percy certainly wasn't one to back down from authority, as Evangeline had noticed in the time she had known him. "It wasn't your plan, though, was it? It was Kronos," something changed in Ares' demeanor at Percy's words. "It was his idea to frame Poseidon's kid and steal Hades' helm and Zeus' bolt to start a war."

Annabeth grabbed Evangeline's arm. "What?" she demanded. Evangeline shrugged, forgetting that Annabeth wasn't there for their conversation with Hades.

"Is that where he got to you, too? Through your dreams?" Percy taunted, stalking towards Ares.

Ares inhaled sharply. "Gods don't dream, little man..." he raised his voice in a way that made Evangeline flinch, reminding her of her father even so many years later. "...And no one tells the god of war how to start a fight. And after you die... say hi to your mommy for me."

Percy raised his sword as Ares approached him, and Evangeline instantly pushed Grover and Annabeth farther back on the sand to keep them away from the clashing swords of Ares and Percy. Ares knocked Percy to the ground, Percy's sword blocking the god's attack. Ares lifted Percy and threw him away, grabbing hold of him again as he tossed Percy's sword out of his grip.

Evangeline winced as Ares threw Percy over his head and slammed him to the sand, both her and Annabeth stopping Grover from rushing over to the scene. "Wait." Annabeth said, believing that Percy could handle himself. Of course Evangeline believed in Percy, but she didn't even know if Luke, who was older, stronger and more experienced could hold his own in a fight against Ares.