𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐈𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑡𝑎 𝑙𝑒𝑚𝑒 (𝑤𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑎𝑘 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛)"
— 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐤 𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐮𝐚𝐠𝐞

- • ꕥ • -

𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐅𝐔𝐋 she didn't have to visit the Oracle like Percy did before he picked the other two joining them on his quest. It wasn't her quest, she was just a huge part of the journey. Evangeline stood beside Percy, a circle of expert campers around them so Percy could make his decisions. Chiron and Mr. D stood next to Percy.

        "The Oracle has confirmed what we expected, that this quest will proceed toward the Underworld, where you will confront the god who has rebelled against his brothers. Hades. The entrance to Hades' domain lies under the city of Los Angeles. This is where you will journey to. Time is short," Chiron spoke mainly to Percy.

        His gaze traveled to the campers he had assembled, Luke, Chris, Will, Clarisse and Annabeth among them. "I have selected our most compelling candidates, from which you will choose two to join you and Miss Clement on this quest and ensure that we succeed."

        "Annabeth." Percy said with no hesitation. Evangeline looked down at him, a small knowing smile on her face.

        "Customarily, one waits to at least hear a name or two before choosing. Are you sure you don't want to hear more?" Chiron said, surprised at how quick Percy made his decision.

        "This thing, Zeus' master bolt, we need to get it back, right?" Percy asked Chiron, who nodded. "And it's gonna be hard to get, yes?"

        "Extraordinarily." Chiron revealed and Evangeline frowned. None of this was making her feel better about this quest.

        "And if the mission required someone to push me down a flight of stairs for it to succeed... you'd want someone who won't hesitate when they do it. Eva's too nice, I know she wouldn't do it at all." Percy explained his reasoning.

        Evangeline furrowed her brows. "Thank you?" she was unsure of what Percy's words meant in relation to her being too nice.

        "You're welcome." Percy mumbled.

        Chiron looked at Annabeth. "The second quest-mate shall be Annabeth Chase!" Evangeline winked at Annabeth, seeing her eyes light up the slighest bit. "Now, on to the other candidates."

- • ꕥ • -

𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 little surprised when Percy choose Grover to go with them, but she trusted it was a wise decision. Grover was smart, and he was a really good protector. But Evangeline was disappointed that Luke wasn't going with her, and that she would be stuck babysitting three children, even though Grover was older than her.

        "Alex, I'll be back in no time. Promise," Evangeline hugged her youngest brother tightly, before moving on to Steven, Cooper, Freddie, Jamie, Tyler, Andrew and then Will. "Take care of them?" she asked once they pulled apart.

        Will nodded. "Come back safe. Nothing's more important than that." the oldest son of Aphrodite said and Evangeline nodded.

        She zipped her backpack shut, one item tumbling out when she did. The box with Noah's ring in it. Evangeline didn't know if this was a sign or not, but either way, she pulled out the silver chain and pressed the ring to her heart. "I'm bringing you home, Noah. I swear." Evangeline pulled the chain over her neck and tucked the ring into her shirt to protect it.

        Evangeline Clement always wore three necklaces.

        The beautiful blonde daughter of Aphrodite left her mother's cabin, heading to the lake one last time before she left. Luke walked to her a few moments later, finding his girlfriend standing with her eyes closed, breathing in the fresh air. "You all ready to go?" Luke asked, gently nudging her shoulder with his own as he approached her.

        "Just about." Evangeline opened her eyes, turning to Luke and pushing her lips firmly against his, holding his forearms as he gently grasped her jaw.

        Luke ran his fingers across Evangeline's neck as he kissed her for the last time in a long time. "Please be careful. Watch out for the kids, for Annabeth. Keep each other safe." Luke said quietly, tucking a stray piece of blonde hair that had fallen from Evangeline's dutch braids behind her ear.

        She nodded. "Hold the fort down here. Make sure everyone knows who your girlfriend is, and that she'll be back." Evangeline knew the way girls flocked around Luke when she wasn't around, and she wasn't a fan of it.

        Luke smirked, kissing Evangeline again, firmer. "Don't worry, baby, they'll know." Evangeline smiled against Luke's lips, tracing the scar by his eye with her free hand.

        "I might lose my mind babysitting the three of them." Evangeline fixed Luke's camp necklace, his arms falling to her waist.

        "At least you'll be in charge." Luke tried to look on the bright side. He glanced down and saw that Evangeline's converse was untied on her left foot and sunk to his knees to tie it for her.

        "Like Annie's ever going to let that happen," Evangeline said as Luke put her foot on his knee, tying her laces tightly. "I'll make it work," Luke stood up and grabbed onto the necklace he had given Evangeline, pulling it off her neck. "What are you doing?"

        "Just hold on," Luke held his father's charm in his hand. "Angel," he spoke to the necklace, and it began to glow, levitating in his hold. "They're like my Dad's shoes, only I decided on the rules this time. It'll help you on the quest. Angel." Luke repeated her nickname and the necklace landed in his palm again.

        "Thank you." Evangeline smiled and Luke clasped the necklace around her neck again, centering it on her sternum. She straightened her fleece zip-up on her body, brushing her hands against her jeans.

        Luke enveloped Evangeline's body with his arms, her backpack falling to the gravel ground. "I love you, Angel. So much." Luke whispered in her ear and Evangeline noted how upset he sounded.

        "I'm coming back, Luke. Don't worry, handsome," Evangeline assured him, kissing his cheek. "And I love you just as much."

        They shared one final kiss, one final moment of love before Evangeline pulled her backpack on once more, squeezing Luke's hand tightly as she walked away from the lake. Evangeline could've sworn she heard Luke apologize under his breath as she left, but she chalked it up to simply hearing things.

        If Evangeline Clement wasn't so deeply in love Luke Castellan than she could've seen past the necklace tied to her and into the truth. She had the chance to destroy the necklace and Percy's shoes, but she didn't. Because she loved him more than the moon loved the stars and the sea loved the sand.

- • ꕥ • -