𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑁𝑜𝑡 𝑘𝑛𝑜𝑤𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑖𝑠 ℎ𝑎𝑙𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑢𝑛."
— 𝐚𝐩𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐞

- • ꕥ • -

𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐖𝐀𝐘𝐒 wears three necklaces. The first one is from camp, five beads strung on it representing the years she had been living there. Evangeline was one of the campers at Camp Half-Blood who stayed year-round. There wasn't anything better for her out in the mortal world. Her second and third necklaces? We'll get to that later.

Evangeline was twelve when her father told her in a drunken state that her mother was Aphrodite, the goddess of love. Unfortunately, he didn't tell her anything else and struck her when she asked. Her older half-brother Noah was the one who explained everything, the one who brought her to safety at camp. Noah was the one who died for her to escape the furies alive.

But whether Evangeline was truly Aphrodite's daughter was a mystery she still had yet to discover. She was unclaimed, had been for five years straight. It seemed that Evangeline was a permeant member of Cabin XI, the Cabin of Hermes. The breathtakingly beautiful blonde girl full of wit and love was undoubtly one of Aphrodite's many children. Evangeline would've accepted any of the goddesses as her mother, just to belong.

She had ADHD and dyslexia like most demigods, but Evangline felt normal at camp. Luke made her feel normal. Evangeline and Luke were envied harshly by fellow campers. The girls wished to be Evangeline and the boys wished to be Luke. But this was known to the pair, and Luke and Evangeline held a private, intimate relationship between only them and no one else.

"Look at them, Luke. A perfect pair." Evangeline pointed to a pair of swans on the lake, drawing Luke's attention from his sword one afternoon.

Luke looked up. "They're cute." he pecked Evangeline on the cheek and continued sharpening the blade of his sword.

Evangeline loved swans, doves and shells. Pretty much everything that symbolized love. If that wasn't a definitive that her mother was the goddess of love, Evangeline didn't know what was. "They're beautiful, and they're in love." she smiled, fingers rolling over the gravel on the shore of the lake.

        A small laugh from Luke echoed through the quiet air. "They're just birds, Angel." he pushed his dark curls from his eyes. Evangeline was his angel and his alone. His nickname for her came from the heart of her name, the strongest core.

        She pushed her blonde hair from her ocean blue eyes. "They're more than that. Swans are faithful to only one partner for their entire lives. Imagine if people were like that." Evangeline mused, turning away from the swans to look at Luke.

        "If you're talking about your mother—" Luke began, placing his sword down on the gravel, resting his arm on his raised knee.

        Evangeline shook her head. "I'm not. It's just an observation. And anyway, there's no way of knowing if Aphrodite really is my mother, Luke. I could be a daughter of Artemis, Athena, Demeter or Hestia." she ran a soft finger down the scar on Luke's face.

        Luke gazed out at the swans once more. "I guess it would be nice if people were like swans." he stood up and offered his girlfriend his hand, pulling her to her feet.

        Evangeline found it annoying to have new campers day in and day out be claimed by their parents, when she had waited five years and was still living in the cabin of the unclaimed. Not that complained too much, because it meant she got to see Luke every morning and every night. Whenever she walked by Aphrodite's cabin, Evangeline could feel the love her children had for each other instantly. They always talked about her, their forbidden sister.

Aphrodite had eight demigod sons currently living at Camp Half-Blood. If Evangeline truly was her child, she would be the sole daughter of the goddess of love. Her sons varied in appearance, all of them seeming to primarily take after their fathers. But Evangeline was a spitting image of Aphrodite, bright blue eyes, blonde hair from the sun.

No one knew why Aphrodite had yet to claim her singular daughter. Maybe she was threatened, maybe she just didn't care. Evangeline knew there was a reason, one that Chiron knew and wasn't telling her. She had to prove herself, she knew that.

        Maybe Evangeline wasn't meant to be claimed by a lovesick goddess. Maybe she was meant for greater things.

- • ꕥ • -