𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑙𝑖𝑣𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑤𝑒𝑙𝑙 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒
𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑑𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑤𝑒𝑙𝑙 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑛𝑒
— 𝐮𝐧𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐧

- • ꕥ • -

𝑻𝑯𝑼𝑵𝑫𝑬𝑹 𝑨𝑵𝑫 𝑳𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑮 struck loudly in the dark sky, yet no rain had come yet. Evangeline pulled her backpack onto her shoulders as Noah dragged her along, running with Arlo down the empty roads of Long Island towards Camp Half-Blood. Noah couldn't see the deadly monster chasing them, but he knew they wouldn't make it to camp like this. "Arlo, take Eva and keep going." Noah instructed over the weather.

        "Noah, you can't see this thing, but we can. You don't want to face it." Arlo said, worried, holding a confused Evangeline's hand.

        Noah grabbed his gun. "I'm a lucky shot. Go!" Evangeline couldn't protest because Arlo had dragged her along, continuing down the road.

        Evangeline looked back to see the huge lion, goat and snake hybrid spewing fire at the forest on the side of the road. "We have to go back for him!" Evangeline yelled, her blonde hair whipping in her face.

        Arlo knew in good conscience he couldn't leave Noah behind. "Stay back here. I'll go get him." Arlo ordered, running back towards Noah and leaving Evangeline in the middle of the road.

        "Why does everyone keep telling me what to do?" Evangeline shouted, stomping her foot into the pavement.

        She saw more flames arriving from the beast she knew was a Chimera, and decided to ignore the warnings she recieved and run to Noah and Arlo, who were hiding behind a fallen log. "What the hell are you doing here?" Noah yelled at his little sister, clutching his arm that had been burned.

        Evangeline quickly gained the attention of the Chimera just by her scent. Her eyes widened as it ran towards her. "Yeah, I didn't think this through." she said, ducking out of the way as the Chimera leapt over the downed tree with a roar.

        The blonde girl scrambled, reaching for a large branch that she chucked at the monster's head, yelling in surprise when it actually hit her target. The Chimera roared, preparing to strike again when Noah stood and fired more shots from his gun, aiming based on where Evangeline's stick fell. "Keep going!" Noah yelled, his bullets wounding the Chimera and distracting it so he and Arlo could join Evangeline, sprinting towards camp.

        They kept running for what felt like an eternity, and then Arlo smiled. "We're here. Half-Blood Hill. Once we get behind the Mist, we're safe." Arlo said, panting and clutching his chest as they slowed to a stop.

       Noah sighed, knowing it was time for goodbyes. "Okay, kiddo. I love you. You're gonna be just fine. Arlo'll watch out for you. This is gonna be good for you, Eva." he spoke quickly, knelt in front of his sister, holding her shoulders in his hands.

        "Please don't leave me here. Come with me." Evangeline begged, a tear falling down her face.

        "I can't, kiddo, I'm so sorry," Noah wiped Evangeline's face, ignoring his own tears as he tried to be strong for his baby sister.

        Evangeline threw her arms around Noah's shoulders, crying into his shirt. "Don't make me go." she pleaded one last time, ignoring Arlo's stressful pacing behind them.