𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐕.

- • ꕥ • -

𝑓𝑎𝑚𝑖𝑙𝑦 𝑖𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑎𝑛 𝑖𝑚𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔. 𝑖𝑡's 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 — 𝐌𝐢𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐞𝐥 𝐉. 𝐅𝐨𝐱

- • ꕥ • -

"𝐋𝐔𝐊𝐄. 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 okay?" Evangeline placed a hand on Luke's shoulder after finding him staring out at the lake. She sat down beside him on a log, tilting his face towards her.

        Luke snapped out of his dazed state. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Just thinking." Luke brushed off with a tight smile, turning back to the water.

        Evangeline frowned, tracing his scar. "Do you want to talk about it?" Evangeline knew that Luke wasn't a very big talker, but every once in a while, she got him to open up.

Luke inhaled a breath. "Do you know what today is?" he asked without looking at the stunning girl beside him.

        "Of course I do. I just didn't want to say anything." Evangeline turned to face Luke, one leg folded over the log as she gazed at him.

        Luke blew out a breath of air, watching the water move slowly with the breeze. "I haven't seen my mother in ten years. I don't know why I miss her." he said, Evangeline holding onto his shoulder.

        "It doesn't matter what she did. You're always going to miss her a little bit, Luke. And you're not weak because you do." Evangeline promised him, her blue eyes shining.

"Do you miss your father? Even after everything he did?" Luke looked at Evangeline, eying the scar on her eyelid.

She shrugged. "I miss who he used to be."
Evangeline said simply, lightly drumming her fingers against the nape of Luke's neck.

        Luke understood, of course he did. "The gods don't care about us, Angel. They have us and then they bail. They're the enemies." his dark curls fell in front of his eyes and he swiped his hand up to brush them away.

        Evangeline frowned at his words. "Luke, don't get consumed by anger. I've seen you do it before. There's more to life than being victim to this world." she gently turned his face towards her, hand holding Luke's cheek.

        "Like what?" Luke asked with dull eyes. He was hurting, really hurting. Evangeline knew just the thing to brighten his mood.

        She touched her bracelet and her eyes lit up pink. "Like love, and loyalty, and joy, and trust. If you have those things, the anger can't get to you." Evangeline whistled, and a few white doves flew over to the pair.

        Luke cracked a smile, still amazed at what Evangeline's bracelet allowed her to do. He wasn't affected by it anymore, and could enjoy its beauty without being under its influence. Luke kissed Evangeline's temple as she stroked the feathers of one of the doves. "I have something for you." he dug into his pocket and pulled out a necklace, one that his father gave him when he was a baby.

        Evangeline recognized Hermes' emblem and the necklace despite Luke never wearing it. "Luke, no. This came from your father. It's the only thing you have of him besides the shoes." Evangeline looked at the silver necklace in Luke's hand.

        "Angel, you know how I feel about him. I've seen you looking at it. Someone should put it to good use." Luke unclipped the necklace and Evangeline sighed, bringing her hair over her shoulder.

        Luke attached the necklace around Evangeline's neck, the charm landing above her camp necklace. "Thank you, my love. I'll take good care of it." Evangeline said with a soft smile.

        "I know you will." Luke kissed Evangeline gently on the lips, holding her neck. He didn't feel as bad anymore once Evangeline came to him.

- • ꕥ • -

𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐗𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑, 𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄'𝐒 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑 brother jumped up from his bed with a shout, panting hard. Evangeline was the closest to him and she climbed down from the top bunk and walked over to him, sitting down at the edge of his bed. "Hey, hey. It's just me. It's okay." Evangeline whispered, her voice soft so as not to wake up the other boys in the camp.

Alex wiped at his forehead, laying back down in his bed. "Just a nightmare. I'm sorry for waking you." he said, his little voice cracking.

Evangeline frowned, arranging his bedsheets around his body. "It's alright. I get them, too. We all do, you don't have to be afraid." she reassured him before smoothing out his hair and retreating to her own bed.

She didn't go to sleep for a while that night. Evangeline still found it weird to have brothers again after losing her own. It felt like she was betraying Noah, but she knew she wasn't. Evangeline's fingers rolled over the necklace that Luke gave her. She should've taken it off. She should've thrown it away, destroyed it. But she didn't, and she would pay the price of that fatal mistake.

- • ꕥ • -