𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐕𝐈𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑔𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑒𝑓𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑡, 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑔𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑔𝑙𝑜𝑟𝑦
— 𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞

- • ꕥ • -

"𝐃𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐆𝐎𝐃𝐒 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐖𝐀𝐘𝐒 fought for glory. They used to call is kleos." Evangeline explained, her and Luke leading Percy out of Cabin XI with some of their friends behind them.

        "It's like this stuff that attaches itself to your name. Makes it bigger, scarier, more important. People listen closer when you talk, they work harder to be your friend, and they think twice about messing with you." Luke said just as Clarisse knocked her shoulder into Percy's as she walked past.

        "Hey!" Percy called after Clarisse after he bumped into Evangeline.

        Clarisse simply pushed Percy into the dirt with one hand. "Woah! Hey. Knock it off, Clarisse. It's his first day, come on." Luke warned. Chris helped Percy up, patting his back.

        "Wait, so this is the kid who killed the Minotaur? Is that right?" Clarisse said, looking at Percy.

        "Yeah?" Percy said, confused.

        "Bet you wish that was you, Clarisse. Maybe somebody would finally pay attention to you." Evangeline said, winking at one of Clarisse's sisters, her eyes glowing pink.

        Clarisse scoffed and turned back to Percy. "Look, you want attention around here, dummy? You better be ready for it when it comes," Clarisse stepped towards Percy and he lurched back in fright, laughs leaving the mouths of Clarisse and her posse. She glanced at Evangeline. "You're not untouchable, lover girl." Clarisse sneered.

        Evangeline shrugged, looking at the effect her glowing eyes had on the group behind Clarisse. She had gotten better at directing her magic. Evangeline let her eyes dim. "Looks that way to me." she smiled and Clarisse rolled her eyes, walking away with her friends and siblings.

        "Well, she seems nice." Percy said sarcastically, watching the group leave.

        "Ares kids. They come by it honestly." Luke said with his hands on his sides.

        "Why don't they mess with you guys?" Percy asked. He could tell the only reason Clarisse spoke to Evangeline was because she was provoked.

        "They know better." Luke looked down at Evangeline, swiping his finger across her head to smooth out some of her baby hairs.

        "Luke's the strongest swordsman at camp." Chris said. Evangeline could've sworn she saw Percy's eyes light up.

        Luke's gaze didn't leave Evangeline. "And Eva can pretty much make this entire camp fall apart if she wanted to." even Percy, who had just come to camp, could see how much love was in Luke's voice when he talked to Evangeline. There was just something so special, so magical about the two of them.

        Evangeline smiled shyly. "I wouldn't go that far." she fixed the necklace Luke gave her.

        "So, they leave both of you alone because 'glory'?" Percy asked. Luke turned back to him and nodded. "So if I get glory, Clarisse wouldn't mess with me either?"

        "Exactly." Luke held onto Evangeline's shoulder.

        "And people think I'm a big deal?"