Part Eight (Emma's POV)

A/N: This is a bit of a longer chapter.
We pulled up in front of my house. Elizabeth sure wasn't shy around Jack. It was actually quite odd. We went inside the front entry. Elizabeth ran upstairs to her room.
"Jack, I want to tell her today," I said.
"Yeah. I think that would be a good idea," he replied.
"Elizabeth, would you please come down to the dining room," I called. She came racing down the stairs. We all took seats at the huge rectangular table.
"Elizabeth, we need to tell you something," I said. She had a fearful look on her face.
"Honey, I know your father hasn't been present in your life. And I'm sorry, that's my fault. But Jack, here, is your dad," I said gulping.
"Oh my gosh mommy! The boy from the story you told me! This is that Jack?" She asked excitedly. Jack smiled as Elizabeth ran over to give him a hug. He got out of his chair and picked her up, kissing her cheek. I looked over at them and smiled.
"Hey Elizabeth, how about we go to the mall with your dad. And we can ice cream," I told her. She nodded while running around giggling and smiling. I went upstairs and took off my scrubs and changed into my yoga pants and purple t-shirt with a cardigan. I quickly curled my hair and put on some light pink lipgloss. I came back downstairs to find Jack reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to Elizabeth. It was absolutely adorable. He was sitting on the couch with Elizabeth in his lap.
"Ready to go?" I asked. Jack set down the book and he and Elizabeth followed me to the garage mudroom then we got in the truck.
"She doesn't seem so shy around you," I said to Jack.
"Is that a good thing?" he laughed. I nodded as started the truck and we pulled out of the garage. We both listened to Elizabeth talk about how excited she was for her birthday.
"Do you want your present from Daddy today or tomorrow on your birthday?" Jack randomly blurted out.
"Today. Wait, no. I pick tomorrow," she said confused. Jack just threw his head back and laughed. We pulled up to the parking lot of the mall. Of course, Jack was carrying Elizabeth.
"Daddy, can I go to Ivivva?" Elizabeth asked.
"What the hell is that," Jack asked me.
"Overpriced children's clothing store owned by Lululemon," I told him.
"Why not," he told Elizabeth. That was the first place we went to. Elizabeth pointed out to a shirt she wanted. I found it in her size and helped her try it on. It looked cute and fit well.
"How much is it," Jack asked.
"Um," ,I said looking at the tag, "40 bucks," I replied. He gave me a look as if I was crazy. We went up to the till. I unzipped my leather Michael Kors purse but before I could get out my debit card, Jack was paying.
"Jack, that isn't necessary. I can pay," I told him.
"No, I've got it," he assured me. We left there and mainly just went to stores for Elizabeth. We got back to the house and ate dinner. When it was 8:40, I decided it was time for Elizabeth to go to bed.
"Can I help her get ready for bed?" Jack asked.
"Sure," I replied.
He carried Elizabeth upstairs, me following him. I put her into her yellow pyjamas and brushed her hair. She went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and came back within a few minutes.
"I usually tell her a bedtime story," I told Jack as Elizabeth climbed into her bed.
"Well, I think I will tell her a story tonight," he replied.
"Okay," I said.
Jack walked over to the bookshelf and pulled out one of my favourite books, "The Kissing Hand", which was an adorable story about two raccoons. Jack began reading and I left Elizabeth's room, but still watched, peeking through the corner of the door watching. As Elizabeth fell asleep, Jack kissed her forehead and walked out of her room.
"So, where will I be bunking tonight?" He asked.
"Just in the guest bedroom down the hall," I said pointing to the door of the guest room. We went downstairs.
"Would you like a glass of wine or some coffee?" I asked Jack who was laying on the couch reading an issue of "Today's Parent".
"Yeah, I'd be down for some wine," he replied casually, not looking up from his magazine. I poured two glasses of Merlot and walked to the living room.
"Thanks," he said as I handed him the glass.
"Your welcome. You seem to be very interested in that magazine," I said.
"Hey! Am I not allowed to find an article on how much vitamins your child needs intriguing?" He asked jokingly.
"Wouldn't you already know, Dr. Gilinsky?" I asked laughing.
We talked for a while. Jack was impressed that I went through university with a baby and completed my education. Sooner than later, the glasses of wine became bottles. Jack followed me upstairs to my room. I quickly went into my walk-in closet and changed into my pyjamas. When I came back, Jack was already in his red and black checkered pyjama bottoms and black t-shirt. His glasses made him look so old. I felt young compared to him even though he was only a year older. Since I had a few drinks, it didn't really concern me that Jack was in my bed.