Ollie?!?

LONG CHAPTER ALLERRRT (4281 words)

Charlie:

    It's the first day of March and I've been feeling beyond ecstatic for this month. It is in fact only because we do find out the gender of our little one.
     Personally, I don't really care what they are because we'll have many opportunities to try for whatever. Very cliche, but a healthy baby is all I want. But, Nick on the other hand has been very adamant about us having a girl because of the dreams he's had. Even though there is still a possibility that we have a boy and Nick wants a girl, it doesn't bother me because I know that he'll love and care for our kid no matter what. And again, we've still got 19 kids to go.

    Today has been good so far but it's only 8:00am and I just got around to the school. It's a Wednesday, so not much going on to be honest.

     I've made it through my last lesson of the day so I pack up my things and head to Elle's room. We always go to each other's room at the end of the day, it's become part of the routine.
      Once I get there, we greet each other as if we didn't pass in the corridor just an hour ago. "Charliieee" she drags out my name as she stands behind her desk, still packing. "Hello Elllleee" she smiles as I sit at a smaller desk next to hers.
      I ask how her day was, why her plans were for the rest of the day, and whatever else came to mind. We took turns talking and answering questions before we were kicked out of the building by custodians. We walked to our cars, said goodbye, and went our separate ways.

     As I'm driving home, I think about what we'll have for dinner as I often do now. I've planned a quick pasta and toast in my head.
      I stop at a kwik mart for gas and a snack before I actually go home, but as I pull into our driveway, I wish I had a lot more stops to make.
    Obviously, it's pretty normal for me to come home to an empty driveway, so when a very familiar car is in my spot, I start to panic. My mum and younger brother get out of her car and start walking towards mine. I take a deep breath before she begins tapping on my window.
    "Hello Charles" she says as I wince a bit at the use of my full name, I hadn't heard it in a while "hi mum" "sorry for the unannounced visit, but no one else is available so I need you to watch Ollie for a day or two". I never really answered, mainly because she didn't ask. It felt like I was back in her house, following her demands. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind watching Ollie, he's almost 14 so there's not much watching to do anyway, it's just her.
    "Oh, c'mon Charles, he's your brother and I'm sure you don't have anything better to do" "I'll do it mum, it's fine" "great, Ollie come get your bags" she says and my eyes shift to him. He gives me a look of sympathy before turning away to follow after her.
    I take another deep breath before getting out of my car. I make my way over to my front door before I notice my mum and Oliver stop in their tracks. I look around to see if I missed something "w-what" "are you pregnant?!" She asks me, sounding upset "shit" I mumble under my breath "or are you just like - getting, you know" I roll my eyes knowing what she's trying to say "im pregnant mum" I say which causes her to look disturbed as she scoffs " I would have loved to know" "we've just been keeping it under wraps mum" I lie. I glance at Oliver noticing that he picked up on it "but im your mother, so if anything I deserve to know first" "ok, sorry mum" I say, obviously not sorry at all, im just over this conversation "does Sarah know?!" I sigh at the question, debating if I should lie again or not "im not sure to be honest, Nick might've told her" im 100% sure that Sarah knows because both Nick and I told her. She was also at the baby shower.
     There was a moment of silence where I could feel her eyes on me as I looked down at the ground. I felt a little pathetic really, like I was back in grade school where I couldn't look in my mum's eyes, but now I'm almost 24 and still can't.
    I really just wanted to grab Ollie and walk into the comfort of my home, but she spoke again "we should have dinner sometime, I feel like I don't see you anymore" "I was over for Christmas" I mumble, not wanting to have dinner at all "would it really hurt to have a dinner with your family Charles" she snaps and I take what feels like my thousandth deep breath "No, mum. Just let me know"
   I take a glance at my watch and realize we've been standing out here for over 30 minutes " Are we alright, I've got plenty of notes to do" "yup, I need to get going anyway. Don't be to thrilled, I'll be back soon" she says walking off to her car as I walk towards Ollie and lead him into my home.
     I let us in, closing the door behind me before looking out the window to make sure she's gone. "Fuck me" I sight out leaning against the door. I close my eyes and sit there for a second before I hear a soft voice come from around the corner. "Sorry" Oliver let's out " im not upset at you or that you're here" I say walking towards him " I know you've been avoiding her because you don't come and visit me or dad anymore. But I did kind of yell that at her so now she's mad and has been calling around because she doesn't want me in her house" he finishes telling me what actually went down and I immediately wrapped him up in a hug "im sorry for not coming around anymore, but just know it's not your fault and I do miss you bunches. And for Jane, you see how tori and I ended up, so it's normal, but im still so sorry that she treats you so poorly, you don't deserve that Ollie" I say, lifting his chin, making him hold eye contact so he knows im serious. He goes in for another hug and I squeeze him even tighter. "You know you could've told be...about the baby. I wouldn't have told her" he says into my shoulder because he's practically as tall as me now " I know, I just didn't want her to drag you or dad in it if she found out" "fair" he says pulling away "I've missed you Charlie" I smile sympathetically "I miss you too Ollie. Maybe after this, she'll trust me to look after you more" "doubt it, but it's not that she doesn't trust you, she just knows that I'd much rather be here anyways. Like this was literally her last resort" he laughs, making me giggle. "Well, do you have any homework, or we could have a snack" I say walking towards the kitchen "ughh, I've just found out I'm gonna be an uncle and you're tryna make me do homework" I chuckle "you're still just as dramatic. Also, you're already an uncle, Blake is your niece sir" "I know but like, newborn nephew...or niece I guess" "you want a boy" "absolutely" "Nick thinks they're a girl" I say and Oliver rolls his eyes "whatever"
    We figure out a snack to eat before sitting down to watch one of Oliver's favorite YouTubers which was surprisingly not that bad. I didn't want to pressure him to do his homework just yet, so I gave him an hour, almost two to himself while I did my notes.
     Once it was about that time, I got up to start cooking, but I gave it a second thought. "Hey Ollie" I shout from the kitchen to the living room "yea" "do you want takeout for dinner" I ask "no, please no" I furrow my brows at the quick response. A teenage boy never really turns down the option of fast food.
    I walk towards the living room to see what that was all about. "You don't like fast food anymore" "no I do, I just haven't had a meal in so long" my heart sinks "you haven't been eating" I ask quietly, afraid of the response " oh no, I have, just not a home cooked meal. Mum and dad barely cook anymore. I've had Nando's five times this week and it's only Wednesday" " oh my god, don't scare me like that, Jesus" I say taking the pillow next to him and hitting his head with it   "Ok, ok sorry" he says with a smile "so, pasta and toast ok" "yes!! That's perfect, thank you" "ok come sit at the island and do your homework. I'll help" he groans but listens.
     I start the pasta and get Oliver started on his homework before I run into the living room to try and give Nick a call. He should be off and actually on his way by now. I ring him and he picks up on the second one "hi baby, just about to text you" he says "hi" "everything alright" "ermm" I look around even though I know that the corridor from the kitchen to the living room is long enough for no one to hear me "I'll tell you more later but um- my mum dropped Ollie off earlier" I say still trying to whisper just in case "shit, you two ok" "yea, he seems alright. Just classic Jane things" "are you ok" "mhm" I mumble because I didn't really know. "We'll talk love, ok. I'll be home in 20" he says. I know he wasn't satisfied with my answer "ok, I love you, drive safe" "I love you" I hang up the phone and walk back into the kitchen with Ollie. "Your favorite will be here in 20" I say, causing us both to smile

    20 minutes later, I hear keys rattle and our front door open. It was most definitely Nick who walked into the kitchen and greeted my little brother with the most bro/lad handshake they made up several years ago that makes me shake my head every time. "Why are you doing schoolwork" Nick asks Ollie as he looks down, but Ollie looks at me "your husband is making me" Ollie says "yea and you're being a distraction" I say locking eyes with Nick as he walks over to me. He only gives me a kiss on my forehead and cheek before whispering in my ear "you ok" I just give him a half smile and a slight nod. He kisses me one more time before pulling away "I'm gonna take a shower really quick. Don't eat without me" he looks at me and then over at Ollie "oh my gosh, hurry"