Scars

Thursday December 7, 2022:

Esmee POV

∞∞∞∞∞∞

I wait until the door is fully closed.

With my hearing I wait until I can't hear them any more, knowing If I can't hear them, they can't hear me.

I look at Dimitri who stands uncomfortably in the room.

He wears a black, long-sleeve T-shirt and black pants. Somehow it looks good on him. Most man would look boring in it. Dimitri can take such a plain look.

I bite my lip and look down at the bed, 'Thank you Dimitri. Sincerely.'

I slowly look up and see that he stares at me intently, 'Just doing my job ma'am.'

I shake my head and sit up.

He speeds towards me to help me sit better on the bed.

'No. It was more than that. I thought...' My voice cracks, 'I thought I wasn't going to make it. I thought I was going to die in the middle of a forest. But luckily you were there.' One tear rolls down my face.

He exhales and closes his eyes.

He slowly sits down on the chair that has Killian his butt-print on it.

He takes my hand in both his hands and whispers some Russian words.

After he kisses my hand that is completely covered in his.

'I can't even think about what would have happened if I wasn't there. You looked so...' He can't seem to get the words out.

Dimitri has never been a man of may words. He has never been good at expressing himself. I give him time to do so

'You looked not like yourself.' He finally speaks.

I smile slightly and look at our hands, 'I felt not like myself. So powerless.' I look back up at him, 'As I mentioned. Thank you.'

He smiles back so very slightly, 'Always Esmee.'

I've never seen him so calm before. It is a foreign concept. But I can get used to his more approachable demeanor.

In truth, I've almost never heard him say my name before. I can vaguely remember that he spoke it while he was carrying me. Which reminds me.

'Tell me Dimitri. For how long did you carry me?' I ask him.

He shakes his head 'Does not matter...'

'But it does.' I interrupt.

He exhales and falls back in the chair, letting go of my hand.

'For about an hour.'

My eyes grow wide, 'An hour. O my lord. I don't know how to express my gratitude. This gesture is remarkable.'

He comes closer again, 'Esmee. You were laying in my arms, bloody and broken, what was I supposed to do. Leave you on the ground? Any man with common sense should do what I did. Whether it's ones job or not.'

I nod and fall back in my pillow, speechless.

'Thank you for coming for me.' I finally speak. The tears are running high.

I felt so immensely desperate and alone. I thought that nobody was coming to safe me.

'Esmee do you remember what you said before you passed out?' He asks me.