LUCID DREAM

The whole day went by traveling for the king, princes, princesses and others. After crossing the boarder of Mithula and just before the sunset, Maharaj Dashrath ordered to stop and spend the night over there.

The workers, who were specifically came for pitching tents, got busy in their work. And within an hour all the tents were ready for the night stay.

The main and biggest tent was for the king. On either side of that tent, four more tents were set up. On the right side.... One tent was for Ram and Lakshman while other one was for Bharat and Shatrughna.
Similarly on the left side, one tent was for Sita and Urmila. While other one was for Mandvi and Shrutkirti.
Other's tents were surrounding the royal family's tent. The men's tents were arround the Prince's tents and women's (female workers and maids from Mithila) tents were around the Princess tent.

The evening darkened. Fire was blazing infront of every tent. The king was busy in some discussion with his court members and as per the duty of the sons, Ram, Lakshman, Bharat and Shatrughna came to check if everything in their father's chamber was okay or not. But the moment they entered in, their eyes went wide open. They couldn't distinguish if it was just the tent or the palace's bed room of the king. Because it was decorated too beautiful. Every necessary things were set up at exact places and it had made sure that the king should face no discomfort.

It didn't take much time for them to assume who could have done these with such perfectionism. And their doubts turned into beliefs when they saw the princesses of Mithila placing diyas in various places inside the tent room

"Umm... You didn't have to do all these. We could have done that for Pitashree. " - Ram said politely.

"Why only you ? Isn't he our pitashree now ? And isn't it our right and duty towards him now ? " - Sita asked with a gentle smile.

"No no bhabhi... It's not like that. You all have equal rights upon everything that we have. Including our parents. But, it's just the first day of marriage. Badi maa had ordered us  to take good care of you all in a letter. Especially in the journey from Mithila to Ayodhya. So it's our responsibility to make sure that you are comfortable and resting enough. " - the youngest prince answered politely.

The care from their eldest mother in law made the Princess'es heart blissful. All of them smiled back and Sita replied- "It's our great fortune to get such amazing mothers. We are really grateful for that. And we are totally comfortable and well rested, Shatrughna.  how could we feel difficulty in serving our elders. It's our happiness to do so. Please don't worry about it. "

The brides continued to place diyas at various places. And the princes came out of the tent willingly.

All these discussions were getting observed by Dashrath himself from a distance. A narrow drop of tear rolled on his cheeks after seeing his daughter in law's care for him. Sumant, his prime minister noticed it.

Dashrath muttered proudly- "Are you seeing them Arya Sumant? They are the daughters of great Rajrishi Janak... and daughter in laws of the king of Ayodhya. The Rajkumari of the wisdom capital, Mithila.... and Rajvadhu of the Wealthiest Kingdom Ayodhya. Still how down to earth they are. Their 'griha pravesh' hasn't even done yet. Still they are performing their duties heartfully. My delightfulness is crossing the azure, Sumant."

"I'm heartly grateful to Ishwar for blessing Ayodhya with such four Griha lakshmi. This is definitely the result of some great virtue of yours, Maharaj." - Sumant exclaimed with a satisfactory smile.

But Dashrath's smile fadded away as if suddenly the dark caligo ate the glowing sun. He looked down and let out a sigh of guilt. The nemesism in his eyes were making them numb. He placed his palm on his prime minister's shoulder and with a diminished voice he said- "Virtue ?? I can't remember doing any Virtue Sumant. All I can remember are the Sins that I have committed. Sometimes it all feels like a lucid dream. Which will just pop like a water bubble when I'll wake up and find myself in the hell of frustration and self judgement...."

Arya Sumant was more than a Prime minister for the king. He was his closest friend. From going to gurukul to him sitting over the throne, he was always with Dashrath. So there was  nothing that he didn't know.
By seeing him becoming distressed like this sumant became concerned. - " please don't think about that past Maharaj. That is buried... That is gone. Please be happy with your beautiful present. You have been thinking about 'it' even more since the day you recieved the letter from Maharaj Janak, telling about Ram winning the swayamvar. This is hampering your health. So you could even came to Mithila on the right time with Bharat and Shatrughna. "

Dashrath passed an dull and dry smile to Sumant. - "Why are you referring this galantic shameful incident of my life as 'it'. Call it what it actually is.... Call it the 'curse' sumant. "

The prime minister immediately joined his palms infront of his chest while requesting- " For God sake, please don't say these Maharaj. That was just an accident. A mistake only."

Some more tears escaped from his eyes. - "And that mistake had snatched three people's life force ... Just that 'mistake'.
Even that wasn't enough... On top of it, I sacrificed my daughter's happiness for my own purpose. Then how come I deserve all these great lucks ? It makes me scared Sumant. I still don't know, are these happiness real or am I just lucid dreaming?"

"Don't look so down upon yourself, Maharaj. You are equally great as your ancestors. Whole Ayodhya sees you as their Lord. And Rajkumari Shanta's sacrifice was for the nation... To give Raghuvanshi throne it's heir. " - Sumant consoled.

"I was also thinking the same. But did you see the Maharaj Janak and his blissful heart? He does not have a son Sumant. He's handling the throne from very young age and has faced way many hurdles than me. Still how come he got such respectful title as 'Rajrishi'.... How come Mithila is the happiest nation today... ? " - Dashrath questioned. And Sumsnt remained silent.

So Dashrath answered- " It is because of his acceptance nature. Before a king, he sees himself as a human. He knows everything is temporary. Today's king can become tomorrow's beggar. Then what's the purpose of this hustle? He serves Mithila and it's people with his heart. He has that recluse feeling in mind and eternal love in heart. So he never worried about not having a male heir. He has believes... He isn't obsessed with his bloodline like me. "

Sumant finally spoke- " I can understand Maharaj. But what was supposed to happen had happened already. And we can't flip it back now. All we can do it to accept and move on in life. Also you are going to Shringa giri tomorrow with the brides and grooms. You can open your heart infront of your daughter there. I'm sure she will be very happy and you will be more happy after that. "

Dashrath nodded his head. - " I know that she will be very happy. But still I don't have the courage to face her. I feel so small that I can't even look directly in her eyes. "

Sumant- "But Maharaj......."

Dashrath spoke before Sumant completing his sentence- " Don't worry Sumant. Soon I'll go to meet my Shanta. But before that I'll complete the last and most important duty as a king. "

Sumant- " Do you mean.... ?"

Dashrath- " Yes... I'm going to hand the throne over to Ram. Then I'll take 'vanprashth' (leaving royality and acquiring the life of a hermit) and leave Ayodhya forever. Only after that I'll be able to face Shanta and seek forgiveness from her. I can't stand infront of her as a king."

Sumant's eyes widened after hearing the kings shocking descision. - "But... It's too early Maharaj..."

Dashrath smiled gently- "Nothing is early Sumant. I'm too old now. Also my children are fully ready to handle the kingdom. Ram as the king, Sita as the queen, Bharat as the chief of welfare and development, Mandvi as the head of culture and art's enhancement as well as the chief manager in charge for food and beverages. Lakshman as the chief commander of entire army, Urmila as the Chief advisor of king and manager of state affairs along with war tactics, Shatrughna as the deputy prime minister under you and Shrutkirti as the head of all educational departments.
All of them are going to do their job stupendously. No doubt in that. So i can peacefully leave my duties now and worship God only till my last breath, in the hermitage of Maharshi Vashishta. I have already discussed it with Gurudev (maharshi Vashishta). "

" If you have already planned everything, then i don't have any objection Maharaj. But when the 'rajyabhishek' (handing over the throne) is going to happen?" - Sumant questioned.

"After the 'matulalay gaman' (going to the maternal uncle's house) rituals of the newly weds." - Dashrath answered and a satisfactory ray of smile bloomed on his face.