Chapter 21 - First Mission (4)

Start from the beginning

As we observed each other cautiously, the crackling sound of the bonfire in the hideout reverberated distinctly.

With every flicker of the fire, our shadows grew and shrank, swaying around.

I gently pushed Orhen back and took a step forward.

Denif was in the first line, and I was in the second. I would support Denif and protect Orhen.

I discreetly sheathed my dagger and gripped the hilt of my longsword.

The combat would begin the moment Denif made a move. For Denif to remain still would be…

The way he stared at Demit, his brow furrowed, told me he was not just some trash.

Somewhere in the distance, an owl hooted. Demit scratched the back of his head.

“Hah, damn it. What the hell is going on?”

Muttering to himself, Demit sighed deeply.

“So, you guys are assassins? My subordinates are all dead.”

“You’re smarter than I thought.”

“You little… so arrogant.”

Demit burst into laughter as if our words were absurd.

“Where are they raising these brats?”

His remark was sharp. How could he guess that in this situation? He seemed quite exceptional.

But I shouldn’t underestimate him. It might be more challenging than I thought.

“What the hell are you talking about?”

Denif retorted, but a beat too late. Even from an objective standpoint, his demeanor was pierced.

“Yeah.”

Demit chuckled instead of pressing further.

“It’s unbelievable. Just because we’ve been busy with other tasks, we’re designated as training targets for these brats.”

Demit raised his hand to the hilt of his sword.

“Here’s the final question. Where are you bastards from? If you tell me, I’ll let you go easily.”

Although his face carried a smile, it was clear that the notion of letting us go easily was far from the truth.

As the atmosphere grew tense, Denif raised his hand and stopped.

“Fuck you, bastard.”

“If you don’t want to suffer later, you’d better kill yourself now.”

Before Demit could finish his sentence, Denif drew his sword. He and Demit did it almost simultaneously.

I glanced at Orhen. Compared to the tension earlier, she seemed fine now.

“Phew.”

I let out a long breath. It dawned on me that I was quite excited at the moment.

This was not the time to worry about Orhen.

Combat excitement.

I had reminded myself to be cautious, but without realizing it, I was gradually succumbing to it.

Marhan didn’t give a warning for nothing. Perhaps this was what it meant to be aware and still fall for it.

Well, it was fortunate that I realized it now. Let’s think calmly and rationally.

Denif stomped the ground.

At the same time, I turned to the side.

* * *