Chapter 59: New York Harbor.

Start from the beginning

"Another woman, huh?"

These words seemed to hang in the air. And then, the oddly smooth tone of Phillip's voice appeared to finally make a thought click in Y/N's mind. He looked back into Phillip's eyes, parting his lips slightly.

"Well, if she has a female friend, why don't I go work things out?"

Phillip adjusted his collar, a smirk now on his lips. And his hands made their way to the buttons of his coat, readjusting his coat as well. Y/Ns eyes flickered with slight disgust. "..do not tell me you are about to do what I think you are about to do."

"If what you're thinkin' includes usin' my charm, I hate to tell ya your minds right."

"..ever the charmer, aren't you?" Y/N spoke, sarcasm in his tone that was so cold as to make the warm air of the city feel as if it were in the middle of a fresh blizzard.

"Heh.. what can I say? I'm almost flattered you almost consider me a charmer."

Y/N only averted Phillip's gaze, letting out a harsh groan.

"Alright, c'mon," Phillip uttered, "lemme go work things out now. I wouldn't wanna overwork someone like you, would I? You'd talk my ear off if I let you."

"What on earth does that—"

"Not answerin' that—now c'mon!"

Before Y/N could respond, he felt something tight grip around his arm, and like a loose paper flying in dazzling summer winds, he felt himself being yanked and dragged toward a different direction—feeling the heavy exhausting pressure in his feet return once more.

————

Across the street they went, the bustling crowd still present. Men chattered with eachother, some aristocratic and some clearly among those of lower wealth. Women chattered as well—seemingly scattered in similar diverse groups. Despite the crowd, Phillip dragged Y/N through it, and neither seemed to care to chat to the other—for the crowd was louder than they could ever be.

Papers were attached to buildings, and in the heart of the city, more people seemed to appear, for it was always a crowded area. And once they made their way out of the crowd, Phillip looked around, stopping in his tracks. Y/N couldn't help but feel an odd sense of familiarity though. He was being dragged this time, Phillip had stopped. Hadn't this already occured? Was this what deja vu felt like?

Phillip then spoke—his smooth voice barely audible over the crowds. He looked back at Y/N, "..I just gotta see if there's any girls I know. If you're thinkin' about askin' me why I stopped, don't."

"..mm. Now you appear to be the one predicting things, Phillip."

"Shut the fuck up, man.."

Despite how normally aggresive Phillip would always be with his comments, he didn't seem to be yelling as he always did, only speaking in a soft tone—as if he had something on his mind and barely had time to speak with Y/N at all.

A silence filled with the faint chattering of the crowd behind them filled the air—the clopping of horses riding along the streets and pulling the carriages sounded, along with the occasional light thumping sound of someone using a needed cane. Canes were oddly common in New York City, weren't they?

Phillip's shoulders then raised slightly, and he stared ahead. "Hey.. why don't we go see if that girl over there might have somethin' to say?" A cocky grin remained on his face. Y/N arched a brow, unable to see who Phillip could be referring to. He stepped to the side, trying to get a better look at who ever it was Phillip was speaking of.

"..well, whoever it is, I'm sure she'll be willing to—" The venom faded from Y/Ns tone, and his eyes widened. His mouth remained open slightly, and his brows raised a little.

The woman who Phillip was referring to was across the street, standing beside the area that was nearest to the harbor in New York City, where Hudson River stood. Her face was oval-shaped, and she had dark skin, and big eyes with long lashes that Y/N could not mistake. Her hair was black, long, and parted into different dread-locks that were long enough to end at her back. Her eyes were a chocolate brown, and she was wearing a green dress, her skirt slightly swishing in the wind.

She was looking off in thought—in that same wistful way she always did.

That same wistful way that Theodosia always did.

Theodosia, his sister, was standing right there—she was thr woman Phillip was referring to.

Y/N stared ahead. He only blinked after he heard Phillip's voice speak again. "..so, are ya gonna keep starin' or are you gonna finish whatever snarky ass comment you were gonna mak—"

Before Phillip could finish, he let out a yelp—a tight grip forming on his arm. With Y/N now in front of him, he began to feel himself being tugged foward to the mysterious woman ahead of him near the sight of the New York Harbor.

/////////////////
Thêodosiæ