🔸13🔸

A gust of cool air swept by, playfully tickling your nose and lending a refreshing quality to the entire atmosphere. 

Across the table, Ji-hun's coffee emitted a comforting warmth, its steam rising like a soothing antidote to the chill in the air.

Amidst this dichotomy of sensations, a subtle awkwardness hung between you two, overshadowing the cozy café ambiance. Each time your eyes met, a shared grin seemed to acknowledge the unspoken tension, and you both retreated into the comforting ritual of sipping your drinks.

Apart from Ji-hun's coffee order, for which you are grateful upon its arrival, a silence enveloped you. 

"I'm sorry," you began tentatively, catching Ji-hun's puzzled gaze.

His eyes widened in question, a silent prompt for you to continue.

"For yelling at you earlier," you clarified, watching as realization dawned on him.

"Oh, that! I've already forgotten about it."

You couldn't help but wonder if Ji-hun was genuinely that unaffected. His nonchalant response left you slightly uncertain.

"Really? I felt terrible."

"It's fine; I get that you were just upset."

"Yeah, I was upset over something I shouldn't have been." Your fingers traced the rim of your coffee cup, and thoughts of JK's news began to intrude.

"So I let all of my frustration out on you," you sighed, "and...on my mom and friend as well."

"Hey!" Ji-hun interrupted, extending his hand to gently rest it on yours. "Believe me. It's okay. It didn't bother me."

His touch was reassuring, and his gaze was unwavering. After a few moments, you withdrew your hand, leaving a lingering sense of awkwardness.

"Umm... okay, thanks!" You glanced at Ji-hun, who smiled and continued sipping his coffee.

"By the way, thanks for trying to help me at the meeting, but you didn't have to do that." A pause.

"You're new here; don't jeopardize your relationships because of me."

"I don't care! They were ignoring you, which I didn't like," Ji-hun stated, a hint of anger in his voice but concern in his eyes.

"Ji-hun—" You gave him a skeptical look; your surprise was evident.

"If they do it next time, I'll do it again."

His determination left you momentarily speechless, your face reflecting a mix of confusion and gratitude. As the weight of his statement settled between you, Ji-Hun's curiosity found voice. 

"A question has been running through my mind," he said, his curious gaze fixated on you, seeking answers. "What you said in the meeting about the bankruptcy—how did the boss handle it alone?"

"I don't know," you replied honestly, your curiosity piqued. "We were all curious too, wondering how he managed it." You relaxed a bit, leaning back as you continued, "But he simply told us not to worry, assuring us that he would handle it."

Once again, a heavy silence descended upon the room, wrapping around the two figures like a suffocating blanket. In the midst of this oppressive silence, you gathered the strength to voice the question that had long been weighing on your mind.

"Btw, I have a question too. Ever since we met, you've been helping me. Why?" Your questions hung in the air, poised to spill out, but Ji-hun's surprising admission halted your inquiry.