Chapter 26.2 - New Plans

The kids fidgeted, glancing at each other. Ivy returned Uncle Taner's gaze. As if we'd just tell him everything! she thought with an indignant sniff.

He frowned. "Nothing?"

He waited a few moments in awkward silence.

"Guys, it's safe to talk," he said, raising his hands. "There's no one else around—Marie is busy in the docking bay, and Mr. Lightwell is in the lab."

"You meant, Captain Lightwell?" Ivy muttered under her breath.

"I heard that."

I thought I said that in my mind! she thought in dismay.

"You can trust me," he continued. "Really, there's no need to be so nervous."

Ivy cast a glance at Oak, who discreetly rolled his eyes.

"Did something happen?" Uncle Taner persisted. "I can't help but think you guys are mad at me—"

"Did you know they were going to knock us out?" Ivy blurted. She bit her lip. Great, Ivy. Way to blurt it out. Now he knows we remember last night, she thought with an irritated frown. I was hoping I'd hold out a little longer than thirty seconds.

Uncle Taner paused. "...No," he said. "I didn't find out until last night. I would've stopped Captain Lightwell from even thinking of it, had he mentioned his plan to me." He sighed. "Is that what you guys were talking about?"

"Yes," Syndria said with a cold edge to her voice.

"Well, I'm sorry," he said. "You should've never been put through that."

The kids shifted their gazes from each other to Uncle Taner. Great, he apologized, at least. Doesn't make him any more trustworthy, but it's something, Ivy thought. This doesn't explain his whole cybervist involvement, though.

His eyes narrowed. "You guys didn't happen to hear anything last night, did you? No—don't answer that. I think I already know the answer."

Tension ran thick in the air as Uncle Taner rested his chin on a propped hand. He stared at the spread of food on the table.

"...Your car was never supposed to have dropped like it did," he finally muttered.

He's talking about that day! Ivy realized. I want to hear him actually say it though...he's being kind of vague. A small smirk grew on her face. Maybe if I just give a little push?

"Drop when?" she said with an innocent blink.

The other kids shifted, and from the corner of her eye, she could see them looking at one another in confusion. They must be wondering if I forgot about the incident, Ivy thought.

"I'm not sure if I know what you're referring to," Ivy pushed.

Kronalia's face lit and she slowly nodded. "Yeah," she slowly agreed, "what are you talking about, 'dropped'?"

Uncle Taner frowned. "You know what I'm talking about—"

"No," Syndria insisted. "We don't."

Good, they're catching on! Ivy thought, hiding her mischievous grin with tight, pursed lips.

"Are you talking about when we arrived at this base?" Carbon added, tilting his head.

Uncle Taner glowered for a moment before he rolled his eyes. "No," he evenly said. "I'm talking about last week. When I...we...intercepted your taxi. In a raid." His shoulders dropped. "Happy now?" he grumbled. "That's what you wanted to hear, isn't it? I'm a cybervist. A bad guy."