Chapter 5 - Books and Systems

The car slowed to a stop in front of a building. "Is this the library?" Ivy said as the door slid open.

"Yeah, let's get out of here," Syndria said, hopping out of the car.

Ivy exited, following Syndria, Carbon, Oak, Kronalia, and Augaley as they walked the winding sidewalk. She noticed the kids relaxed as they distanced themselves from the car.

Trees and bushes lined the sidewalk in a lush garden, hints of flowers poking through occasionally. Hidden past the trees was a bubbling brook, crossing beneath their path and spilling over the edge of the building's metal base. I wonder where that water goes... Ivy thought, slowing to stare. Her eyes flitted to the nearby buildings on their own floating metal bases. How did they fit a forest like this on this base? And how did these buildings not fall..?

"Hey, don't get left behind!" Oak called.

Ivy jumped and rushed to catch up to the others, who had reached the base of impressive stairs. Her eyes followed the steps to the large front doors of the library. "Sorry!" she gasped as she slowed to a stop.

"No worries!" Kronalia said. "I'm sure you're trying to process all of this 'future' stuff and all. This is pretty neon, right?"

"Um...neon?" Ivy blankly echoed, walking up the stairs.

"I believe she means 'cool' in your terminology," Carbon said, holding the door open for them.

"Oh!" Ivy said. "Yeah, it's really cool...if we don't consider that near-death fall."

As they entered, Ivy was quickly shh'ed by a stern man who sat behind a large glass-front desk. He glared at the group. "May I help you?" he said, giving the children a borderline-scornful look.

"Yes," Carbon said, stepping forward. "We are in search of a book to acquire."

"You can access the library's entire catalog from your personal holosystem," he dismissively said.

"Well, sir," Carbon said, stepping closer, "this book is only accessible here."

The librarian paused.

"Why would you need a book like that?" he asked.

"School project!" Syndria quickly supplied. "The other books are checked out, and we have a tight deadline."

He looked again at each kid, this time with a more thoughtful expression. "Very well," he finally said. "Find yourself a room and I'll send the book file to you," he said as he busied himself with a large holographic screen in front of himself. "Remember, you cannot leave the library with the file—it'll lock the moment you leave," he called after them as they walked away, following Carbon.

"Thank you, sir!" Syndria said.

"This is one of my favorite places to go to," Carbon said as they walked deeper into the library. He took a deep breath and turned to everyone. "It's a great environment to complete your lessons in," he said with a grin.

 "It's a great environment to complete your lessons in," he said with a grin