Chapter 27 - The Lab Test

Ivy still had the questions burning in her mind as the group finished their breakfast and followed Carbon through the maze of hallways to the lab. She scanned her surroundings for any signs of Oak. I hope he's okay, she thought, clasping her hands as she walked.

"The lab should be right around this corner!" Carbon said as he rounded a narrow turn in the gray, plain hallways.

The children's feet padded on the stone flooring as they trailed him.

Oh, that must be it! Ivy thought as she spotted a single pair of doors on the wall. Beside the door leaned Oak, his arms crossed and face calmer than earlier.

His eyes met Ivy's. Gone was the placid expression, quickly replaced by his ever-present scowl. Ivy flinched. Is he mad at me? she nervously thought. But, I didn't do anything wrong!

"Hey, there you are!" Syndria said, breaking away from the group to run up to him.

Oak glanced at Syndria and fixed his face into a neutral expression. "What took you all so long?" he said with a lazy blink. "I was beginning to think you guys decided to run off or something."

"Well some of us are actually hungry, Oak," Syndria sniffed, stepping aside. "Why are you waiting out here, anyway?"

"Door's locked."

"We're at the right place, right?"

"Yes," Carbon said. "The blueprints say we're in front of room '01 - Lab'."

"Why would Uncle Taner tell us to go to a locked room?" Augaley said.

"Because obviously, it's a trap!" Kronalia exclaimed.

"Nothing is a trap," a voice said said from behind them.

Ivy and the others gasped, turning to find the speaker.

Uncle Taner nonchalantly strolled through the hallway, absentmindedly typing on a holopanel. "Mr. Lightwell probably locked the door accidentally," he said, unaware of the startled group.

How does this guy keep appearing out of nowhere? Ivy thought as she slowed her racing heart.

"Cybervist," Oak muttered under his breath. His eyes were dark and thunderous, eyebrows deeply furrowed. His mouth was something between a snarl and a scowl.

Uncle Taner glanced at Oak and frowned. Instead of remarking on his appearance, however, he stopped short of the group and beckoned to them. "Come this way, guys," he said, lowering his voice.

They exchanged glances. Why isn't anyone making a move? I'm not going first! Ivy thought.

"Come on!" Uncle Taner hissed, waving more urgently. "We don't have much time."

Kronalia shrugged a shoulder and approached Uncle Taner. The others followed suit, dragging their feet.

"It's about time," he growled as Oak, the straggler, barely stepped within earshot. "I need you to listen very carefully," he said, leaning closer. "Lightwell wants to recruit you all. Involuntarily," he said.

It took a moment for his words to sink in. The group blankly returned Uncle Taner's gaze, not quite processing what they heard. Involuntarily? Ivy thought. So...like how they tried to kidnap me? Her racing thoughts barely made sense to her confused mind.

"What?" Syndria quietly exclaimed. "To become a cybervist?"

Uncle Taner flinched. "Yes. To join The Propagation," he clarified. "As soon as this lab test is over, he plans on forcefully taking you guys to get enrolled. I'm not letting that happen."