Chapter 25.1 - Conversations

Oak and Ivy crept into the hallway, carefully checking each direction for signs of life. <<So far, so good!>> Carbon said from Oak's holoscreen.

Ivy peered over at Oak's screen. "And you're sure that no one else will be able to see this call?" she said, glancing over her shoulder. "I thought anyone could see a panel."

Oak shook his head. "Not since I've set it to private," he replied. Must be another one of Uncle Taner's tricks, she thought with a curious glance.

Other than the soft padding of Oak and Ivy's socks on the carpeted floors, the base was eerily silent. Soon, the pair came to a halt.

Ahead, the carpeting gave way to the sleek, dark concrete flooring. Ivy's eyes adjusted to the considerably dimmer lighting as she looked at the higher ceilings and plain, impersonal walls. The hall branched into several paths.

"Alright, Oak," Ivy said. "Which way to the lounge?"

Oak zoomed into his map, squinting as he took in the graphics of the holographic screen. "Left," he finally said.

"Are we clear to the left?" Ivy said, turning to the holocall.

She watched Carbon, Syndria, Kronalia, and Augaley lean closer to their panels, their eyes scanning its contents. <<Yes, there's no one in the halls,>> Augaley finally said.

Ivy grinned as they easily navigated the area. I'm starting to recognize these hallways! she thought. Strangely enough, considering everything looks the same.

<<Do you see anything interesting yet?>> Carbon asked.

"Just walls," Oak sighed. "We're getting close to the room, though."

<<Wait, guys, stop!>> Kronalia said. <<I see someone nearby the lounge.>>

"Is it Mr. Lightwell?" Ivy said with a sinking feeling. Are we too late?

<<No. It looks like Uncle Taner!>>

"So we're fine, then?" He was against the whole testing-thing anyway. Maybe he has the same plan as us!

"No," Oak said. "If he finds us out of our rooms, he's going to send us back and make sure we can't get out again! I'll never be able to override his coding."

"Oh." But where's Mr. Lightwell? she thought, glancing over her shoulders. Ivy shook her head. No, they would say something if they saw him. They're looking at the cameras, after all.

"Did he go inside, Kronalia?" Oak asked.

<<No...oh, there's Mr. Lightwell.>>

"Well, at least we know where he's not," Ivy said with a relieved sigh.

"What are they doing, Kronalia?"

<<Just talking.>> Kronalia leaned closer to the screen. <<And...they're walking away!>>

"Which direction?" Ivy said.

<<They're out of my camera range.>>

<<Don't worry, they're in mine,>> Syndria said. <<It looks like they went into a room. They left the door open, though, so you're going to have to avoid that hallway on your way.>>

"Which one?" Ivy asked. "'That hallway' is kinda vague."

<<Um...the direction that you're facing. If you keep going that way, you'll pass by their room.>>

Oak sighed, then swiped on the map. "The lounge is still clear, right?" he asked.

Kronalia nodded.

"Alright, I found a different way," he said. He spun around and dashed around a corner. "Let's go, Ivy."