Chapter 22 - Intruders

"Maybe we can somehow get Uncle Taner to take us to The System's mainframe without realizing?" Carbon suggested after a few moments of thoughtful silence. "We could suggest that it's a safer place to be than here."

"Maybe," Oak said with a slow nod.

As they turned another corner, Augaley held up a hand. "Did you hear that?" she hissed.

"What?" Ivy said, pausing. Wait, I can hear something, too! In the distance was the sound of two voices.

"Uncle Taner!" Oak whispered.

"I think we've had enough exploring for today, right?" Syndria said, turning back. "If Uncle Taner's talking to someone, we don't know how many other people are around."

"Wait, don't you want to hear what they're saying?" Kronalia said, creeping towards the source of the sound. "Maybe we might overhear something so that we can figure out how to leave!"

"I'm not so sure if that's a good idea, Kronalia," Augaley apprehensively said, turning to follow Syndria.

"I think it is!" Carbon said, joining Kronalia. "This may be our one opportunity! We have already snuck out of the room, we might as well make the most of the situation."

Oak remained silent, pensively looking between the two sisters.

This does seem kinda risky... Ivy thought, looking at Syndria and Augaley. But at the same time, being in the future is risky in itself! She shrugged, joining Kronalia and Carbon. Might as well figure out as much information as possible. "I'm with Carbon," Ivy announced. "We gotta make the most of this chance. We just have to be extra careful."

"I'm going, too," Oak said, quickly following Ivy. "I want to hear what they're talking about."

"Oak? Really?" Syndria said, shaking her head. "And I thought you were the one who wanted to stay in the room!"

"Well, we're standing now, aren't we?" he said, crossing his arms. "Let's get this over with."

Ivy grinned, then turned her attention to the hallway ahead. I knew he was just faking it; he's just as curious as the rest of us, she thought with a smile of satisfaction.

"Don't say I didn't warn you," Syndria grumbled, reluctantly following the group as they forged forward.

"Right, this is a bad idea," Augaley said, close behind Syndria.

Ivy glanced at the two girls, then pushed forward to join Kronalia at the front. Bad idea or not—I want to hear what they're saying, Ivy thought, sniffing. We're never going to figure out anything if we play it safe!

"Wait!" Kronalia whispered, abruptly stopping and pointing ahead.

Ivy skidded to a halt, Oak and Carbon close on her heels.

"What gives?" Oak hissed, stopping.

"Oh!" Carbon quietly exclaimed, not as fortunate as Oak. He slammed into Ivy, knocking her to the ground.

"Ow!" she gasped, barely breaking her fall. Why did they have to follow so closely? she thought, sitting up and rubbing her stinging hands.

"I'm sorry, Ivy!" Carbon whispered, scrambling to his feet and offering a hand. "Are you okay?"

"I'll live," Ivy grunted, accepting the offered hand.

"Carbon! Look what you've done!" Oak groaned.

"What?" Carbon and Ivy said together, spinning to face Oak.

Oaks eyes desperately darted between the two of them and down the hallway, his face red as he gestured in a very animated fashion.

"The bulb!" Kronalia gasped.