Chapter 23.2 - The Lightwells

Oh, so now he wants to play nice? Ivy thought, frowning at his intrusive question. "The future's great!" she vaguely said, looking at the other kids. "You had such a bright greeting, by the way, Mr. Lightwell," she said with a sweet smile. "Quite a welcome to the future!"

His eyes narrowed again. "Would you care to explain what you mean by that?" he evenly said.

"I meant—" Ivy started.

"What she meant is that she's been swept away by your warm reception!" Uncle Taner said, who was watching the exchange with increasing alarm before jumping in.

Mr. Lightwell turned his piercing gaze to him.

"Ivy's a poetic one," Uncle Taner supplied.

"Is that right?" Mr. Lightwell replied, glancing at Ivy without moving his head. "I'll have to hear some of her works, then." He turned to Oak. "Let's see, the rest of the intruders from earlier: Oaktrm, isn't it?" he said. "Your uncle speaks of you often."

"Really?" Oak said, glancing warily at Uncle Taner. Uncle Taner raised his eyebrows and innocently shrugged.

"Quite a leader in the making, aren't you?" Mr. Lightwell said with a smileless chuckle. "And you, Carbon," he said, glancing at the boy, "You're a trainee of Taner's aren't you?"

"Indeed!" Carbon replied, startled.

Mr. Lightwell merely nodded, then turned his attention to Augaley. "And you must be Augaley—a future medic, is that right?"

"Yes, sir," she said with a polite nod. "I hope to become a nurse one day."

"Good," he replied. "Syndria," he said. "You're also a leader in the making, correct?"

"I am?" Syndria said, looking at Uncle Taner in surprise. Uncle Taner glanced away.

"I can see it," Mr. Lightwell said with a nod. Finally, he looked at Kronalia. "And you're the group historian."

"Uh...right," Kronalia said in surprise, glancing between Uncle Taner and Mr. Lightwell. "I didn't think anyone actually noticed..."

"You never know who's paying attention," Mr. Lightwell said. He looked at their empty plates. "Marie, fetch the imported desserts for us, will you?"

"Of course, love," Marie replied, pecking him on the cheek before whisking away to the other side of the room.

Mr. Lightwell grimaced-smiled once more before loudly clearing his throat. "Now," he said, "am I to understand that you"—he looked at Uncle Taner— "are in need of long-term shelter?"

Ivy glanced at the others. Long-term? she thought in alarm. The other's expressions echoed her own thoughts.

Uncle Taner nodded. "Right," he said, "We were trying to figure out how to get the portal opened again so that Ivy can get back, but ran into some trouble in the process."

"Which is why you came here."

"Yes, sir. This was the next closest base I could drive to from where we were last."

Closest base? Ivy thought with a tip of her head. There are more?

"Alright," Mr. Lightwell said. "I'll give you a pass, Taner...for the sake of the kids," His eyes narrowed. "But don't make this a habit. Are we clear?"

Uncle Taner stared at Mr. Lightwell, who returned it with a harsh, stern glare.

"Yes, sir," Uncle Taner finally said, his eyes cold.

"Who wants dessert?" Marie cheerfully said, instantly dispelling the heavy tension.

She was met by hums and quiet 'me's. Marie placed a large platter onto the table, filled with cookies and cake slices. Ivy blinked. I guess desserts haven't changed much, she thought. Even one-thousand years in an alternate future.