Chapter 16.1 - A Welcome Back

Ivy nervously looked between Uncle Taner and the group. Uncle Taner had straightened and stopped typing on his screen, staring at an undistinguishable spot in front of himself. Oak was leaning against the inside of the car, his feet kicked up onto the seat next to himself, and an arm wrapped around a headrest in the back.

Carbon and Kronalia attempted to catch Ivy's attention with a small wave, and Augaley's attention was fixed on Syndria, who was moving Oak's feet from the seat to the ground—much to Oak's annoyance. Syndria flashed a smile to Ivy, then turned her attention to Uncle Taner.

"Oak," Uncle Taner said, his shoulders tense and voice quiet. "Did I not tell you to stay out of my circuits?"

"Didn't know you'd be taking the car," Oak nonchalantly replied, shrugging a shoulder. "Thought I'd tell everyone to wait with me in the car while you were busy in the house. You know, to 'stay out of your circuits'?"

Uncle Taner's jaw twitched. "Great," he flatly said. "So now that you see that I'm obviously using it, I'm going to ask you to leave." He stared at each kid. "Every one of you."

"And leave Ivy alone? No way!" Oak shifted, assuming a normal sitting position. "We haven't seen her all week!

"Right?" Syndria joined, in a rare alliance with Oak. "I was just starting to think we'd never see her again!

"Yeah, that's right," Kronalia added. "Who knows how long she'll stay this time around?"

"She was never supposed to have come back," Uncle Taner said, sighing and staring out of the window.

"But she's here now," Carbon timidly said. "I too would like to take advantage of this time and stay."

Augaley nodded. "Me too," she said. "We've missed Ivy."

"Out of the question."

Oak frowned, then leaned back. "You know," he finally said, "I could always just call my mom—"

"You wouldn't dare."

Oak shrugged again. "I mean what are you gonna do? That official lady limited all of your hacking stuff."

"'Technology specialty' stuff," he corrected, breaking his listless gaze to look at Oak. "But no, I don't want any of you anywhere near that lab again."

"Is that where you're going?" Oak cheerfully said. "Carbon, do you think we could get a taxi to drive there ourselves?"

Uncle Taner clenched his jaw. "I'm asking you one last time to leave," he said. "Go inside and work on setting up your project. I'll be back with Ivy later, but we really don't need all five of you joining us for this trip.

Oak hesitated, then looked between Ivy and Uncle Taner. He settled back into his seat. "No," he said. "Either you take all of us with you, or I tell Mom that you're making trouble again."

Uncle Taner cast a sharp look to Oak, then sighed. "It's not just your mom I'd be in trouble with, Oak," he said. "Syndria and Kronalia's parents would see to it that I rot in cryptoprison, not to mention Carbon's parents and Augaley's!"

"We've already told our parents we were having a sleepover again," Syndria piped, "and mom understood about what happened last time—she really trusts you, ya know?"

"My father said that you're the most knowledgeable person on The System," Carbon said. "He wouldn't mind if I told him I was getting extra tutoring with you this evening."

"But you're not—"

"Technically he would!" Augaley said. "I mean, he's going to get a chance to watch you work around in The System, right?"

Uncle Taner helplessly stared at each kid before dropping his head in defeat. "This is already dangerous as it is," he muttered, pressing a button and sending the car into motion. "Oak, your mom's gonna kill me."

Ivy and the Fluorescent LightbulbOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara