Chapter 10 - The Agent

Everyone stood in hushed silence "What was that about?" Ivy whispered.

Uncle Taner stared at the holographic screen in front of them, transfixed by the video feed on it.

The government agent was still rummaging through the forest. She tripped into a bush and scrambled to her feet.

On the other hand, they heard an alarmingly loud and near sound: the clanging of feet on the stairs.

Uncle Taner dashed to the wall that had earlier turned transparent and began typing on a floating interface on its surface.

"She must've delayed the feed," he said with a sigh. "Out of all the agents to detect you, Ivy, it had to be her."

"Sorry..." Ivy said.

"Never said it was your fault, kid."

But it feels like it is... she sullenly thought.

Thud!

The sound echoed in the room, coming from behind the wall. Uncle Taner jumped back.

"It's not safe for you kids here," he said, turning to the group. "She won't say anything if it's only me in this room."

"But where are we gonna hide?" Syndria frantically said.

"Here," Uncle Taner said, stomping on the floor. A thick hatch sprung open. "Get in."

"Woah!" she gasped, running to peer inside. "How neon is that?!"

"Hurry, hurry, you don't have time," he said, tensely glancing at the wall. There was a large thud, then a piercing screech.

Uncle Taner muttered under his breath. "Go!" he said louder, pushing Ivy after the rest.

"But what about the portal?" she said, clutching her items.

"Don't worry about it," he growled. "Now go!"

Ivy scrambled down the stairs, barely reaching the bottom before Uncle Taner kicked the hatch shut.

The room was a small, cramped space, not unlike a cellar. The space was lit by nothing but a small glowing orb, suspended on the wall above their heads.

"Do you think she'll be able to hear us down here?" Kronalia whispered, looking at the hatch's faint outline on the ceiling.

Ivy paused. "I can hear them," she whispered back. "I bet they'd be able to hear us."

"I hope Uncle Taner doesn't get in trouble again..." Augaley said, lowering herself into a sitting position on the floor. She drew her knees to her chin.

"Mom will never let me visit him again if he does," Oak sighed, pacing back and forth.

"Again? Does he get in trouble a lot?" Ivy said, nervously rolling the fluorescent lightbulb in her hands.

"That's an understatement," Kronalia scoffed. "He's always sticking his nose in places that don't concern him."

"This might be one of the few occasions where Uncle Taner's been dragged into a situation against his own will, to be fair," Carbon added.

Thud!

The group jumped, looking at the ceiling. "I'm gonna get closer and see if I can hear anything," Oak whispered, creeping up the stairs.

"Oak, stay down!" Syndria hissed. "He told us to stay put for a reason!"

"Don't get your circuits fried, Syndria. It's not like I'm gonna leave here or something," he said, crouching as he came closer to the ceiling.