Chapter 4 - Cybervists

The car that Augaley rented was far larger than Oak's small taxi. As they piled into the vehicle, Ivy admired the sleek black exterior accented by neon blue lights. They were on their way to the library, coursing between stately buildings that reminded Ivy of her home. She couldn't help but gasp in admiration as each turn revealed more plants and buildings, harmoniously mingling together.

Other cars bustled by on invisible tracks above and below them, and Ivy even spotted a glass walkway far above them that spanned between two large buildings.

"Wow...," Ivy said, looking at the complex dance of cars large and small as they wound around each other, zipping between buildings and under pathways. Her eyes could barely keep up with the speed of the car's movements. "How do they not crash into each other?" Ivy said, finding herself dizzy from the view.

"The System!" Carbon enthusiastically said, watching the cars. "It ensures that every car can get to and from its destination without colliding with another car."

Ivy frowned. They've been mentioning this whole 'System' thing since I've gotten here. Is it really that big of a deal? "What exactly is The System?" she asked.

The kids paused. "I...don't know how to explain it so that you can understand," Carbon said with a frown.

"How about Kronalia?" Syndria said. "You know the most about history, right?"

Kronalia, who was distractedly staring out of the window, turned to look at the others. "Huh? Explain The System?" she said. "Well, let's see," she continued, tilting her head. "It's similar to what you know as a computer operating system and internet combined—all of our devices connect to The System."

"So... The System keeps the cars and buildings from falling too then, right?" she said. Ivy glanced to the earth far below and swallowed. We're a long way from the ground... she thought, discreetly pinching her arm. I can't believe I'm really here in the future!

"Right!" Kronalia said. "We might send it a simple command, like 'make me a toast', and it'll send the command to both my pantry and toaster to make it. Almost everything is automated nowadays."

That's absurd, Ivy thought. "Do you know how to cook for yourself, then?"

"I mean, of course," she said, shrugging. "But if you don't have to, or if you're too busy, why not have The System do it for you?"

Not too sure if I agree with that line of reasoning, she thought, politely nodding and looking out of the window. I wonder how much time we have before we reach?

The view outside slowed to a stop. Ivy blinked. They were between a gap in the buildings, and there was no platform for them to exit onto.

"Is this the library?" she said, turning to look at the others.

She found herself looking at equally confused faces.

"No," Kronalia finally said.

"Then...why are we here?"

"Augaley," Oak said, "didn't you put in the destination for the library?"

"I...I did," Augaley said, quickly tapping on the holoscreen in the center of the car. "It's saying that our trip is paused."

"What?" Syndria said, scooting next to Ivy. "How is that possible?"

"That's never happened before...," Augaley said, frowning.

"Unless...," Kronalia nervously said. "It's cybervists?"

The five kids stared at her.

"No... there's no way they're attacking us," Oak said, shaking his head.