Chapter 24.1 - Team Plan

Ivy's mind swirled with thoughts—what could Mr. Lightwell want with my lightbulb? Why was Uncle Taner so against it? She frowned. Somehow, I don't think it's a good idea to let him take it...

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting for long!" Marie said, approaching Ivy from her spot in front of the dining room.

"Oh!" Ivy said with a jolt.

Marie's smile turned inquisitive.

"N-no, you didn't keep me waiting," Ivy said, edging away from the door. I need to get that bulb back.

"Good! Follow me," she said.

"We're going to my room, right?"

"Yes, and I think you'll like it!"

"Actually," Ivy slowly said, "I think I forgot something in that big waiting room we were in earlier. Could I get it really quickly?"

Marie paused. "I checked the room right before I got here. There's nothing there but your tube?"

"Right, that's what I forgot!"

"Didn't my husband tell you he and Taner need it for tonight?"

Great. She already knows. Ivy stifled a sigh. "...oh, yeah," she said.

So much for that, Ivy thought as she followed Marie. But that's new. Mr. Lightwell said he needed us for tomorrow, yet they're working on the bulb tonight? Ivy quickened her pace to keep up with the woman. I can't let him do whatever-it-is to the bulb tonight! Maybe I can sneak out and get it after Marie drops me off...

Ivy's hopes were soon squashed as Marie guided her through a confusing maze of hallways. We're taking so many turns I'm gonna get lost if I try to go on my own! she thought with a frustrated frown. Her shoulders sank with each turn they took. This is hopeless, she thought in resignation.

They continued on for what felt like some minutes. After a few nondescript, blank walls and floors, their surroundings slowly morphed. Ivy blinked as her clicking footsteps dulled. The area's ceiling dropped to a lower, cozier height, and the hard stone flooring underfoot had transitioned to soft, pliable carpeting.

"This is the living quarters of our base," Marie explained, glancing at Ivy.

Ivy eyed the woman, observing the wispy curls in her bun that bounced with every step, her flushed, plump cheeks, and her eyes that remained locked ahead. She pleasantly smiled and softly hummed a tune to herself. If I can't make my way back to the room, Ivy thought, I might as well get to know her.

"You're in a good mood..." Ivy said, attempting to start a conversation.

"Oh, does it seem that way?" Marie chuckled.

Ivy couldn't help but notice a hint of something behind the smile. Sadness? she thought.

"I'm always trying to keep cheerful," Marie continued, turning away. "It can be a bit of a damper to live here sometimes, seeing that there isn't much sunlight."

She fell silent. She seems so much nicer than Mr. Lightwell...I don't get it, Ivy thought, frowning slightly. How did someone like her end up in a place like this? "So, um," Ivy started. "Why do you and...Mr. Lightwell stay here, then? Couldn't you move somewhere else?"

Marie shook her head. "Herbert has to stay here for...his work," she carefully said. "And I'll stay as long as I need to support him."

"So...what is his job, exactly?"

She paused. "I can't say," she finally said. "But I can tell you that I'm not too fond of it."

Ivy slowed. "You aren't?" she said. Now I'm even more curious. Who are they?