Chapter 7 - Uncle Taner

"Yeah, she's in here," a voice said, rousing Ivy from her sleep.

"Huh?" Ivy grunted, squinting her eyes open. She stared at the room she was in. It was a nondescript metal room, full of wires and soft lighting. Where am I again? she groggily thought, rubbing her eyes.

Ivy caught sight of the fluorescent lightbulb, and the memories of the day flooded back: stumbling into the future, meeting the kids, and being hidden from the government agent. So it wasn't a dream? she thought in disappointment. I wonder if I'll ever get back...

The door swung open and in stepped Oak, Syndria, Kronalia, Carbon, and Augaley. "Hi, Ivy!" Syndria said with a grin. "Did you fall asleep?

"Oh..." Ivy sheepishly said. She paused, noticing an unfamiliar individual with them. Behind the kids stood a man whom Ivy didn't recognize. He resembled Oak, with tan skin and dark, messy hair. He scanned the space, his attention flitting between Ivy, the bulb, and her bag of clothes.

Ivy quickly rubbed the drool off her face and scrambled to her feet.

"Oh, I did!" Ivy quickly finished, grabbing her bag and lightbulb.

"I can tell," Oak said. "Your hair's a mess."

"Oak, could you possibly be any ruder?" Syndria snapped. "I have a brush you can use, Ivy," she said in a friendlier voice, turning to Ivy.

"I-it's okay," Ivy stammered, her ears flushed. She set the bulb down and patted her hair, quickly running her fingers through the curly coils and making a half-attempt to detangle what she could.

"Oaktrm, your friend was right," the man sternly said. "That was rude. Apologize to her now."

"But Uncle—" Oak protested.

"That wasn't a request, Oaktrm," he said his thick eyebrows furrowing.

Oak tensed but turned to Ivy. "Sorry," he muttered. "This is my Uncle Taner," Oak continued, subdued. "I called him in to help us get you back."

"You can call me Taner...or Mr. Taner, Uncle Taner, whatever you're more comfortable with," his uncle said, approaching her and smiling reassuringly. "You've probably had a shocking day," he said. "Don't worry, I've already given these kiddos a good talking to." He paused, giving the kids a stern look. Ivy noticed each of them nervously avoided his gaze. "They're gonna help get you back."

"We're really sorry, Ivy!" Syndria said with shining eyes

"We're really sorry, Ivy!" Syndria said with shining eyes. The others nodded in agreement, their faces reflecting her sorrow.

"So the first thing we'll be doing," Uncle Taner said, clapping his hands, "is getting you registered with the City Bureau."

"But...if I'm registered in The System, won't I be detected?" Ivy asked.

"You will be, but that's the goal."