Chapter 23.1 - The Lightwells

The group spent the better part of their time in relative silence, save for the quiet bickering between Oak and Syndria. Ivy stationed herself in a chair furthest from the door, her legs curled close to her and the lightbulb tucked firmly in between. I can't stop thinking about that crazy guy with his laser gun, she thought, rubbing her arm. Ivy shivered. What if he didn't warn me? Would that have been it? She watched as Carbon unsuccessfully attempted to intervene in the argument. The group was a few feet away from her, but she felt hundreds of years away. One thousand years, to be exact, she thought, numbly tapping her fingers together. Would I just go back to my time if he got me?

Ivy remained lost in her thoughts, only brought to reality with the room's door sliding open. Uncle Taner stepped in. "I'm done," he said. "Let's go; we have dinner waiting for us."

Oh, Ivy thought. She blinked. I forgot that I need to eat. She slowly rose to her feet, following the others from a distance. I don't think I've ever eaten their food before.

Uncle Taner led them through a series of twists in the hallway until they stepped into a large doorway.

The opening spilled into a large, cavernous room its ceilings reaching far above them. Several metal beams arched to a proud, central column. To one side of the room was a round table, its top filled with dishes of all kinds. I can't see what's on the other side of the room, Ivy thought, attempting to peer past the large column.

"Welcome to the dining room," Uncle Taner said, guiding them to the round table. He took a stack of plates and handed them to the kids. "Take your pick," he said as he grabbed a few items and walked to the other side of the room, out of sight.

Ivy stared at the spread as the others took their own items and filled their plates. The food was surprisingly fresh—full of colorful fruits and vegetables. She frowned as she circled the table, looking at each dish.Well... she thought. At least the fruit kinda resembles the regular fruit I'm used to...

"You're not hungry, Ivy?" Syndria said, peering at Ivy's empty plate.

"Ah...no, it's not that..." She helplessly said. "I've never seen this kind of stuff before. I mean, where's all the meat?" Ivy asked.

They all paused and stared at her. "Meat?" Augaley slowly echoed.

"You mean, like this?" Oak said, pointing at an array of something that vaguely resembled sliced ham at the back of the table.

"What's that?"

"Uh...like high protein slices," he said with a frown.

"That's what you meant, right? The protein slices?" Kronalia said, leaning into the conversation. "Like, you don't actually eat meat, right?"

"You all don't eat meat anymore?"

Oak shook his head. "Animals? No."

"So everyone's vegan?"

They stared at her in confusion.

"What's...vegan?" Carbon finally said.

Ivy paused. "You know what," she said, grabbing several slices and piling them on her plate, "nevermind."

Oak started as if he was going to say something, but instead shook his head and raised his eyebrows.

"Guys," Uncle Taner called. "What are you doing, having a meeting? Just choose your food and take a seat. We're waiting."

"'We're'?" Ivy said, exchanging a surprised look with the group. She tossed a few items onto her plate and followed the others.

Oak lingered behind, walking alongside her. "Hey, are you okay?" he said, glancing at her.