Chapter 26.1 - New Plans

Ivy jolted awake with a start.

Huh? she thought, sitting up and pushing the bedsheets away. When did I get here? Her eyes darted around the room, bewildered.

She was back in her room. Ivy spotted her daywear folded neatly on a stack of pillows in the corner, right where she had left it.

"Wasn't I doing something last night?" she said with a small yawn.

Ivy frowned. I remember Uncle Taner. Did he come here? No, wait, there was Oak too... She nervously tapped her fingers. I'm forgetting something...

Her room's door slid open with a rumbling rattle, revealing a cheerful Marie. "Good morning, Ivy!" she said. "You must be exhausted, considering you were sneaking around last night."

I was?

Marie shook her head and let out a small "tut-tut" as she rolled Ivy's sheets into a neat roll at the base of the bed. "I told you to call me if you needed anything," she continued, shaking out Ivy's daywear and placing them on the bed. "If you were so worried about your bulb, you could've just called me to check on it for you."

The bulb... Ivy blinked, flinching as the memories of the previous night flooded back. "Wait!" she gasped, leaping to her feet. I remember now! They caught us! Uncle Taner and... I guess it's Captain Lightwell...

Marie jumped at Ivy's sudden movement. "Is everything okay?" she asked, eyeing her.

Ivy paused. "...Yes," she said, sitting down with a shaky breath. "It's nothing." I think I passed out! But how did that happen? And what happened to everyone else?

"If you say so," Marie hesitantly said. "Look, I'll give you a few minutes to wake up and change, then I'll take you to the dining room for breakfast."

"Marie?" Ivy said as the woman reached the door.

Marie turned, holding the door open. "Hm?" she said.

Ivy's mouth formed the words, but no sound came out. She's married to that crazy Captain Lightwell guy... How do I know if I can trust her? she thought. And she came in so cheerful this morning. Not as if I literally passed out in the hallway—is she even concerned about my health? Why did that happen? She closed her mouth and glanced at her nightgown's health bar.

All green.

Green means good. I think. She shook her head. "Never mind," she said. "I'll only take a couple of minutes."

Marie hesitated again, her eyes narrowing for a split second. "Alright, dear," she finally said. With that, Marie stepped into the hallway and closed the door, leaving Ivy alone.

It only took Ivy a few moments to change into her malfunctioning clothes and fold away her nightgown. I need to find out what happened, Ivy thought as she slipped on her boots and joined Marie in the hallway. Maybe Oak knows what happened after I gave Uncle Taner the bulb!

Ivy's hope was soon dashed as she spotted Oak in the dining room with the rest of the group. He stared at Ivy with despairing eyes. "Ivy..." he said with a weak wave.

"Hey, there you are!" Syndria said with a strained smile. "We were starting to wonder where you were."

"Have fun, kids," Marie said, hurrying away. " I can't stay with you for breakfast, but feel free to take your time."

"Thank you..." Ivy started to say.

Marie was already far gone, soon disappearing down the hallway. Or not, I guess.

"Oak," she said, spinning on her heels and dropping into a chair, "please tell me you remembered what happened last night."

"I was hoping that you would have," he sighed. "I'm drawing a blank after Uncle Taner came out from the room."

"It's the same for all of us," Kronalia added. "The most any of us remember of last night was when Uncle Taner found us out."

"I thought it was weird that I woke up in my room so suddenly," Ivy said. "Marie didn't even seem all that concerned about my well-being this morning—considering she's a nurse."

"She's a nurse?" Augaley said, perking. She paused. "It's almost as if we were given some sleeping medicine or something. Maybe she knows something about it?"

"Oh, she definitely does," Ivy said. She knows that we'd snuck out yesterday, she must know how we got back to our rooms!

Syndria groaned. "But when did it happen?"

"What about..." Ivy's mind raced as she pieced together the previous day's events. "I think it was during dessert."

"That...makes sense," Augaley slowly said. "I noticed none of them touched it."

"I thought it was strange they were offering me to take extra," Carbon said with a frown. "I'm glad I didn't eat any more last night."

"The cookies didn't quite taste like cookies, but I just thought it was the futuristic ingredients or something," Ivy sighed. "That was my fault for not catching that."

"You had no idea that would happen, Ivy," Oak reassuringly said. "Don't blame yourself."

"I'm afraid to eat breakfast now," she said, warily eyeing the spread of food on the table. Her stomach grumbled. "Has anyone eaten yet?"

The others shook their heads.

"Maybe we can get one of the adults to try the food first? Be the food taster, if you know what I mean?" Kronalia suggested.

"I doubt that'll happen," Oak said.

"Doubt what'll happen?" a voice said from the entrance.

The group froze, exchanging glances.

Uncle Taner strode into the room with a friendly smile. "Good morning," he said, stretching his arms over his head. "Had a good night's rest? I know I didn't."

Ivy carefully watched his expressions. He doesn't seem too concerned either, she thought. She squinted. And I have questions about this guy. Was he really the cybervist?

He came to a stop at the table and pulled out a seat, sitting with a plop. Leaning forward into his hands, he stared at each of them. "So," he said, "what's up? Why were you all trying to take the bulb last night?"