Short story: The bane of history 11.

It was the second day of the Tempest-Ingracia war, I had done nothing but watch the flow of the battle, both minor and major turns that had happened in the small span of a single day.

Despite myself, I lent a hand to Rohr on the first day by giving him and that Fiablo dude knowledge of the Argos system. Lost to the flow of history, the knowledge came as quite a shock....to one of them at least.

I wasn't really surprised that an archdemon knew who I was, if I wished it, no one would remember me. Contrary to how I think about the time that has passed, it's but a drop in the temporal sea, nothing particularly remarkable.

But I was a human once, a being who was originally destined to live a short life. To compensate for their fleeting periods of sentience, humans strived to make the most of the short time. We tried our best to do the absolute most we could.

So while to intrinsically immortal beings, this time was little, to me it was colossal.

Damaris left for Farmenas yesterday, carrying knowledge of what was required of them in this glorified smokescreen.

Indeed, this war was a mere diversion. Of course it had its own standalone significance, the feelings and motivations of its participants was something I could not bring myself to disrespect but in the end it was a means to an end.

Very machiavellian, I'm aware. But that's how things have become. Tempest is aware of this as well, albeit only vague knowledge but they had no problems with it.

To monsters like them, redemption matters more than life.

Suddenly the energy in the vicinity began to swell, I could feel the distortion of space, a sort of pained cry as it was forcefully warped under the effect of Damaris' spatial magic.

Then the outpour of magicules that was a standard occurrence during teleportation happened, and from the mass of churning negative energy, the sage appeared.

I really need to teach her better spatial control, she's hurting the poor space...

[[Just like every other novice spatial magic user out there, give it up. Since when did you even care about abstract concepts?]]

Since I began to literally understand them? Maybe I should restrict spatial abilities....

[[It's best you leave things as they are.]]

Sure..

"I have returned." She announced.

"Yeah, we can see you." Guy provoked. He had no qualms with sitting around for a measly day, but somehow he was still irritable.

"Welcome back, I assume it went well?" Obviously it did but the conversation must go on!

She only nodded, so much for my efforts.

"What are we doing here anyway? I see there's a barrier surrounding the place, do you intend to breach it?" Oh, she ended up speaking.

"Things have been set in motion, everyone has started the tests of their conviction, or lack thereof. It's not my time to interfere so in the meantime, I'll assess the quality of whoever is lurking in El Dorado."

She seemed confused but spoke again.

"You're planning to fight another person, aren't you?" She said with a skeptical tone.

Was I that easy to figure out..?

[[Yes, you are. Why not do something different this time?]]

Hm, what do you suggest?

[[Damaris is right there, this is a good opportunity to test what she has learned.]]

True, but the person running the place could be a tier above her, seeing as they can maintain this thing.