Sixteen

Song: Amen- △aimon

The Witch

With the festival only five days away now, Gen and I had our hands full setting up the booth and testing recipes for our cider station. I was pretty sure that my bloodstream was at least five percent cider at this point and I couldn't even look at another apple without heaving.
But I did it for Gen.

She had stuck with me these past couple days while I recovered and I owed her one. This was my way of thanking her.
So we strung up some fall leaves over the top of our booth, carved some adorable pumpkins, and hung some fairy lights overhead for some ambiance. Our vision had come to life right before our eyes and it was magical.

"We did it," Gen sighed, clapping her hands together excitedly. "It looks amazing."

"Hey, this was all your idea," I laughed.

"This was a team effort," she scolded teasingly. "We made this happen."

"And we still have a few days to spare," I grinned. "Now we can just use word of mouth to promote our little pop up."

"I know some of the ladies from the coven would love to drop by," she said quietly. "I'm sure they'd be willing to help us out too."

Oh god. I couldn't face them. Not after everything that happened the other night. I didn't need anyone's pity. I definitely couldn't take anyone's help.

If any of those women got hurt or killed, I would never forgive myself.

But I just smiled slightly and nodded.

"Yea," I agreed. "It would be really nice."

"Hey, you two," James's voice was distant.

I looked up, grinning at him as he approached our booth.

"Hey," I said. "You like?"

He nodded fervently. "It's awesome. You two did an amazing job," he laughed.

"Want to try some cider," Gen asked, holding out a thermos. "Brand new recipe. Trying something new."

"Yes please," he sighed, his breath steaming the night air. "I'm freezing my ass off."

Gen laughed, letting James take the thermos. "Well, drink up, kiddo. I can't  have you turned into an ice pop."

He brought it to his lips, drinking it slowly. Gen and I watched his reaction. It was slow and thoughtful.

"Huh," he said curiously. "This is the best apple cider I've ever had."

"Really," Gen asked hopefully. "I'm so glad you like it. Poor Cory has been putting up with it for the past three days."

I snorted. "You act as if it was a punishment. Every recipe you tried was so good," I laughed. "It was an honor being a part of your testing process."

James nudged my shoulder playfully. "So you're the one to thank for the green light on this, huh?"