Twelve

Song: Season Of The Witch- Lana Del Rey

The Witch

The news came early the next morning. A body had been discovered five miles outside town limits. It was found just off the Calloway Creek hiking trail.

It was completely unidentifiable. There were rumors that their teeth had been pulled and the fingers chopped so that the body remained a John Doe.

The worst part was not knowing— who it was or who had done it. My suspect list was already locked in. The man I had seen the other day at Calliope's trailer or Malachi and his three demons.

My money was on the latter. I could be wrong but I highly doubted it.

People were on edge today. They gave more space as I walked past them on the sidewalk. There were no friendly smiles or cheerful greetings, only suspicion.

It was odd that I hadn't seen anything on Calliope in the Bulletin. Not a single mention of her had even been whispered about.

I knew she was mostly a recluse, but I was put off by the lack of headlines.

But all of those morbid thoughts left when Gen pulled into my driveway. I stepped out onto my porch, locking my door a hurrying into her rundown little truck.

"Hi, sweetie," she said happily. "You ready?"

I nodded. "As I'll ever be," I laughed.

"You'll see a lot of familiar faces. Adelaide will be there. She has a baby on the way and it's supposed to be a girl. Jessibel has her bakery opening up soon."

Genevieve went on listing every single guest coming to the small get together. It wasn't necessary, just because I would see them often. Most of the coven patrons Merryweathers religiously. Just because I wasn't a part of the craft, didn't mean that I hated everyone who did practice. It just meant that I had to step back and try to heal.

Too bad I was shit at facing my problems.

It's a fucking miracle I haven't wound up with my throat slit with all the supernatural things that have happened as of late.

But that's neither here nor there, I had to mentally prepare myself for being around the coven again.

I could do this. I just had to cope.

We pulled onto a familiar dirt road that wound through the woods. The headlights on Genevieve's truck weren't particularly bright, but were enough to see through the pitch black as we passed trees and thickets. Small critters ran about along the forest floor.

We kept driving. Once we saw torches illuminating the path, we knew we were close. A few short minutes later, we reached a large rod iron gate. They squealed loudly as they opened, revealing what looked like nothing more than a shack.