Fifteen

Song: Closer- Nine Inch Nails (you know it's gonna be good 🤫)

The Witch

Gen didn't leave my side for days. No matter how many times I begged for her to go and open her shop. She simply dismissed my request with a wave of her hand.

"I have enough of a rainy day fund to last me a few more days, sweetie. Don't worry. You're stuck with me," she said with a wide grin.

My phone buzzed on the table. I flip it over, seeing  James's contact pop up on screen.

James: Is there a reason my favorite coffee spot has a closed sign on it?

I quickly unlocked my phone and started typing.

Gen is being a mother hen :/

His typing bubbles appeared and a new message emerged.

James: What's wrong? Are you ok?

No. Not in the slightest, but I obviously wouldn't come out and say— 'hey, pal, I was almost murdered last night. Oh, and by the way, I'm a witch'.

Yea. Just came down with a bug. Nothing to worry about.

He began typing again. Then retyping... then typing again before finally sending the message.

James: My mom read this. She's now on the move with a giant pot of chicken and dumpling soup. Sorry -_-

I laughed tiredly.

Can she send over my favorite teddy bear?

James: If by teddy bear, you mean me, then, unfortunately, I have to help my dad with some booth stuff for the festival.

I sighed.

That's too bad. I guess I'll have to snuggle with your mom ;)

James: You're evil. >:(

Awe. But you love me <3

James: Always and forever <3

Genevieve was at the sink cleaning some dishes from the humble lunch we had, consisting of cheese crackers and some assortment of Italian meats.

"Was that James," she asked, beaming at me from over her shoulder.

"Yea," I said, setting down my phone. "His moms is bringing over chicken and dumpling soup."

She went quiet after that, only for a moment.

"Oh," she said slowly. "That's good."

Strange. So very strange.

"What's that weird reaction for," I asked.

"Oh, nothing," she said, setting a plate on the drying rack. "I just don't like how they keep trying to force James into things he clearly doesn't want to do."