Forty-One

Song: Creep- Clint Mansell, Eliot Sumner

AN: Almost done! I'm starting to think about a book 2! 🤪🤞🏼

The Gambler

I retreated back towards the edges of the property line. Resisting her tore me up from the inside, the pain unwilling to leave.

I had made the call. My father was on his way to come collect the witch. And I was on my way to securing my position as second.

Once again, this was cause for celebration, and yet what was there to celebrate? I was losing my closest ally and friend. The woman I had come to kidnap had snared me into her service. And I still had to answer to my fucking father. 

Even more frustrating was that my fathers head wasn't mounted on a stick beside a throne that was mine.

That was a shame indeed.

I made my peace with the mistakes as best I could, instead focusing on rehabilitating my shadows.

They had been quiet since I had woken up on that table. Too quiet. I kept at it. Trying to coax them out into the open.

Nothing.

It had taken me thousands of years to train up my power. It took thousands of years to make myself ready to finally kill the one who terrorized my mother until finally killing her.

I had bled for this. I had suffered for this. And all that would be for nothing in the end. I'd always be under someone else's thumb. I'd always be the pawn in someone else's game.

Even if it was unintentional, Coralynn had opened Pandora's box. She had let out every single one of my demons in a single move. And the worst part was that I couldn't even hate her.

I knew a player when I met one and she had the makings of one of the best.
Game recognized game.

She had swiped the loyalty of my crew with her charm and stole my heart right from within my chest.

It was genius. And terrible.

And wicked.

She was a queen in her own right. And I was her fool— her joker in her endless deck of soldiers that would soon be following her.

I should be grateful just to be her anything. Even if it was her shadow. Even if I never touched that fucking throne, watching her rise could be enough. I wanted so badly that just seeing her on that dreaded dais would just be enough to stop me from ruining myself further.

I could just give it all up now and take my bitter medicine.

My head lifted till my eyes took in the night sky through the dark branches of the trees overhead.

"I wish you hadn't made me fall in love with you."

Fuck. Those words played on an endless loop in my head. The image of her trembling lips as she spoke those very dangerous words had me by the throat, choking me till my lungs bled.