Seventeen

Song: Call me Devil- Friends in Tokyo

The Gambler

"I want to make a deal."

My teeth bared at her words. 

"The time for deals is over, Coralynn," I said sharply. "Get your things in order."

"According to Infernal Law you have to make a deal when one is offered," her voice was barely holding its strength.

Did this girl think I was stupid? Like I didn't know the laws of my own kind.

"Coralynn," I warned. "Don't test my patience any further—"

"Take out the witch hunters," she breathed. "That's it. That's all I want."

Well, shit. I was gonna do it anyway for their interference with infernal affairs.

"You really want all that blood on your hands?"

Her eyes shut as if she hadn't considered the weight of what she was asking of me.

"I— don't know. But the alternative seems much worse."

"They could be your friends— your neighbors. Hell, it could be the whole town. Are you absolutely sure that this is what you'd like?"

"I don't have much of a choice," she swallowed.

I cursed to myself. "Fine. But don't come crying to me about how I choose to complete this arrangement. And since this deal was not made in person, we will have to use alternative methods to complete the transaction," I said coldly. "When you get home, you'll have a box on your front porch. Take a knife and put it over fire. Cut yourself and make it deep. Then carve your name onto the contents of the box and let your blood seal your signature."

"That's it," the witch asked.

"Did you expect something different," I asked bitterly.

"I had always thought human sacrifice was the preferred payment method," she swallowed.

"No," I muttered. "Just a few drops would do. You still have time to change your mind, little witch—"

I looked up, narrowing my eyes in the direction of rustling corn stalks. A frantic lover boy burst through and upon seeing the witch, his eyes became filled with worry.

"Coralynn! Coralynn, are you alright? I heard you scream," he asked frantically, kneeling down to help her.

He couldn't see me. At least I didn't think he could. But it was time for me to leave anyway. I had well overstayed my welcome and I had much better things to do than to watch him swoon for her.

Drawing back, I returned to my current spot in my dark leather chair. Opening the drawer in my desk, I pulled out my crowning piece. A dagger encrusted in diamond with a large blood ruby at its hilt. It's gaudy handle was a stark contrast to its sleek blade, which had delicate carvings along its length.