Thirty-Two

Song: The Fruits- Paris Paloma

The Witch

Malachi took me into a room with only a table and several chairs. A singular lightbulb hung above giving the room a low eerie glow.

"Have a seat," he said smoothly, pulling out a chair for me.

I watched him carefully as I took my seat. Malachi pushed me towards the table with ease. He sat across from me, posture relaxed as he whipped out his deck. It looked like a plain old deck to me. The box was worn out and frayed at the edges.

"How do I know this is the deck," I asked flatly.

"You'll know when you get your hand," he shrugged.

He expertly took the cards from the box and started shuffling. He shuffled several times before diligently dealing the cards into two piles. His hands were barely blurs as he separated our stacks.

The rules went as followed. First to get rid of all their cards wins. We would each place our cards face down in succession to each other, calling the card as we went. The one not playing, would have the opportunity to call bullshit.

If it turned out that the card was a lie, the person who placed it would take the pile, thus putting them further from the win. If the card was real, the person who called bullshit took the pile. 

This was less of a card game and more of a bluffing game. It suited us well.

"We start with the ace of spades. No jokers in the deck," he said smugly, pushing my cards across the table to me. "Ladies first."

I scoffed. "How chivalrous," I muttered, picking up my cards and fanning them out awkwardly in my hand.

He, on the other hand, held them as if they were always attached to his hand. It took a single swipe of his thumb to fan them out in a beautiful arc over his fingertips.

"Take your time," he sighed heavily, a soft chuckle following the sound. "It's not like we have things to do today."

"Don't rush me," I hissed, fixing my cards as comfortably as they could get in my hand. "I'm thinking."

He smiled. "It's not that hard, Coralynn. Just count— I mean unless mortal schooling didn't get you even that far—"

"Two of clubs," I growled, slamming down the card.

He slipped his own card on top only moments after my hand left the pile.

"Three of hearts," he winked.

Not even a minute into the game and he was on my last nerve.

I pulled a five of diamonds and set it calmly on the pile. It was a test. I did, in fact, have a four of diamonds, but I wanted to see how sensitive his instincts were.