Forty

Song: All Too Well- (10 MIN TAYLORS VERSION)

AN: get wrecked 🥲

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The Witch

Oh, god. Why wouldn't he just look at me? Why wouldn't he just hold me like he had on the ferris wheel? He just kept his back towards me as he pulled me through this labyrinth of tunnels and hallways.

The fact that he had all but confessed himself not just hours before, hurt me.

His words hurt me.

"If I hadn't started playing make believe with you, none of this would have happened."

It was all just a game to him. My heart— my love— was just a game to him. And when he played, it was always by his rules.

"Tell me how you did it," he said abruptly. "Tell me how you killed him."

I opened my mouth to speak, but only stammering escaped. He sighed when he realized I wouldn't be able to answer him.

"Tell me you at least made him suffer," he said grimly.

"I wish— I made it last longer," I said shakily. "He had mocked how you died and I wanted him to—"

"I'm not talking about the Reverend, Coralynn," he said, swallowing an unexpected lump in his throat. "I'm talking about James."

I nearly tripped over my feet.

"Shit—"

My body was immediately engulfed in him. His warmth had returned and was now seeping into my skin. His touch would be the only thing I could ever need.

Even if he would never be able to love me back.

"Tell me that you made it hurt," he breathed, stabilizing me on my feet before departing as if I was holy fire burning his flesh.

"I— don't remember," I admitted nervously. "I had lost control."

His eyes remained away.

Look at me, Malachi... Look at me....

His body became stiff as a board. Then slowly, as if he had heard my pleas, his gaze turned to me.

There was fear and indignation tucked within his amber irises. His breathing was labored as if fighting my will.

"Let go of me, little witch," he shuddered, nostrils flaring. "Please."

My breath caught in my throat. I had made him look at me.

"Did I—"

He snapped his head away, breaking our eye contact as if it were iron chains that tethered us.

"We're not doing this right now," he said icily. "Come."

The longer I went with this absolute desire to have him, the weaker my knees became and the need to fall on the floor and beg almost became reality.

If it weren't for his hand being intertwined with mine, I wouldn't be able to even breathe.

Hushed voices floated down the hallway. Malachi's body became tense again as he stepped between me and the direction the voices came from.

They were familiar voices.

"They're in here."

Before Malachi could lunge, I tugged on his arm.

"Wait," I breathed.

The moment I saw Genevieve round the corner, my heart leapt into my throat.